For home defense, handgun mounted white light, or handgun with hand held white light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pick a method and train with it....making the choice is only the first step.

+1. People love gadgets and cool add-ons. The key is having whatever you are comfortable shooting. Practice like you will fight. Remember that in a high stress or confused state (as most of us are when being abruptly awakened in the middle of the night) you lose fine motor functions. Keep it simple and you have a better chance of prevailing.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep both available.

Not all bumps in the night need a gun pointed at them, which is the only way you can use a weapon mounted light (Sure, there's a bit of "Spill" that allows you to point a weapon/ light off to the side or below an individual, but basically they illuminate wherever the weapon is pointed). That being said, I keep a very bright little LED flashlight in my nightstand, as well as a G21 with mounted light in the underbed gunsafe. AR in the big safe with a gawdawfully bright Eagle light on it. It's worked well to illuminate coyotes out back.

Practice, practice...

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with both being available and in the same place, I run a Viridian X5L tac light green laser combo on my G17 and a small hand held Surefire, Surefire may not be used but is available if needed. Weapon light allows hands free light movement while manipulating environment but sometimes you find that the noise wasn't a threat and now just need a light to see with so no point in flagging everything you need to look at with a loaded weapon. Both have pros and cons.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an M3 on my glock 22, always gets shot with the light at the range, no issues. Several depts including OCPD had the FTF issue. I always have a light on my nightstand, and it gets charged 1x a month regardless if I used it or not. I have kids, not worried about lighting them up, as I use the spill, not the beam, and if I had to scoop up a kid for any reason, I can still operate my weapon and light with my now one free hand. As far as lasers go, I don't like them. It trains you to focus on the target, not your front sight, people could shoot at the laser (being sarcastic, since people always say that about the lights), and any movement in your hand is magnified down range and I find the bouncing of the laser distracting, plus what do you do if the batteries go out? I had a lady I was helping teach a few weeks ago and thats exactly what happened, dead batteries in her crimson trace. I asked her what she would do if that happened when someone was breaking in?

Latest posts

Top Bottom