For those of you who pay for your own medical insurance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Who do you use? How do you like it? How much is it?

I'm currently on my wife's policy, but her company has raised the rates for worker's dependents.

I'm going to get my own coverage and your recommendations would be helpful. I'm in the Tulsa area, BTW.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use Assurant Health. I will say that we are not pleased. Considering the cost, this has been the worst insurance company I Have ever been covered by. :disappoin About 900 a month for a family of 3 btw.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm self-employed and on BCBS. It was $99/mo last year, but went up to $145/mo to make up for their obligations this year under Obamacare. $1,000 deductible.

I'm not much of a medical patient. In an average year, I visit the doctor once to get my asthma med prescriptions renewed and then fill a few inhalers and boxes of nebulizer medication.

Over the holidays, I was re-evaluating my options. I really need to switch to a higher deductible.

I did most of my shopping through eHealthInsurance.com. Be sure you understand your policy prior to accepting it.

When I was on HealthChoice through the State of Oklahoma, they were very fickle about even allowing my prescriptions to be filled.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also got mine through eHealthInsurance.com. I went with Humana because it was much cheaper than BCBS at that time and they have a comparable provider network. IOW it's huge.

I'll throw this out there, even though I've done it before. Get a high deductible HSA qualified plan and open an HSA account. If there is any way you can financially pull this off do it! Put the money you save in premiums in the HSA and pay your office visits, meds, etc. out of that. The IRS will hate you for it, so that alone makes it worth doing.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Health insurance through a medical student organization; Provider is United Health Care.

For me, its $75/month. To add my wife with maternity was an additional $215/month

$250 deductible, 10/20/35 pharmacy plan, policy has cap at $250k, out of pocket max at $5k.

Overall its been good, but never had any claims other than doctor visits and check ups.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blue Cross, $285 p/month to cover my wife and me (including pregnancies), highest deductible they offered (though I can't remember right now, maybe $5,000). Should be cheaper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom