For those that bought a steel below ground shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll never catch me in one of those steel coffins... Made my mind up looking at the shelters in Piedmont after their F5 left nothing but slabs and reinforced closets.

The wife and I sat in the neighbors in the garage floor style with the lid closed before making up our mind on what we wanted and neither one of us was very comfortable being in it.

I talked to two fellas at work that lived out by Piedmont and they saw more than one above above ground (safe room) standing after the tornado came through......there were also a couple shown still standing after the last big Moore tornado.

We aren't getting any younger plus my back has a tendency to go out on occasion and getting down in a garage floor style may have been troublesome at times, what if's.......you'd just had a surgery, broke a leg, were in a wheelchair etc.

We had Ground Zero install a 4'x6'x61/2' above ground (safe room) shelter mounted to the garage floor Jan. 2013......hopefully us or nobody else with a shelter will ever have to use it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is great. I did my homework and planned accordingly instead of just buying a shelter from the local backhoe/pool/scentsy seller.

I'm on high ground so it's not going to flood, it's concrete encased (not just dressed around the top) with ridges to lock it into the concrete, and its indoors.

Watching the "Oh noez!!! Underground shelters will kill you!" hysteria is kind of amusing.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a steel in ground, in garage shelter.

The way mine was installed it would have to lift the house to float out of the ground. The ones I've read about were not in the garage and were not cemented in properly. There's a wrong way and right way to do everything. If the earth shifted enough to crush it I'm thinking a sinkhole would be nearby swallowing up my whole house. If it's getting crushed that means my foundation would be gone whether I had a shelter of not.

I can think of two stories in the news in the last year or two where people died in above ground shelters. The doors were hit by debris enough to let water in but they couldn't get out. They drown or died of exposer. Just in the last several months I read a story of a lady who died in a traditional concrete below ground shelter. Something (a big branch I think) landed on it, cracked the top, pinned the door shut and she drowned. My point? There is NO shelter that can 100% guarantee you won't die.

Look at the helicopter footage of post tornado damage carefully. There are just as many houses with the debris collapsed inward as there are houses with the debris laying to the outside of its foundation. Often times both at the same house. People have been, and will be, occasionally trapped in shelters whether or not they are above ground, in ground, in garage, in the yard... whatever. Any purpose built shelter is way, way better than crouching in the hallway with a mattress over your head, sitting in your tub or ducking into a standard closet. As far as type, go with what makes you feel good. It's a coin toss, really. It's a tornado for Pete's sake, very little predictable logic to the damage, just lots of mayhem and chaos.

BigDiezel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FTW !!!

Moore - May - 2013
image.jpg

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I sat in the neighbors in the garage floor style with the lid closed before making up our mind on what we wanted and neither one of us was very comfortable being in it.

I talked to two fellas at work that lived out by Piedmont and they saw more than one above above ground (safe room) standing after the tornado came through......there were also a couple shown still standing after the last big Moore tornado.

We aren't getting any younger plus my back has a tendency to go out on occasion and getting down in a garage floor style may have been troublesome at times, what if's.......you'd just had a surgery, broke a leg, were in a wheelchair etc.

We had Ground Zero install a 4'x6'x61/2' above ground (safe room) shelter mounted to the garage floor Jan. 2013......hopefully us or nobody else with a shelter will ever have to use it.
I saw 5 above ground safe rooms in Piedmont that took direct hits from the EF-5. In 2 of those instances all that was left of the houses were the above ground shelters. None of the shelters failed. The one on Piedmont Rd. did have damage to the exterior of the door from objects striking it but it was not breached.

Latest posts

Top Bottom