For those that bought a steel below ground shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterGrubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys I just don't feel that the above ones are as safe as under the ground. If a Tornado can pick up semi trucks, let alone a heavy one ton truck like a feather. What would one of the above grounds do if a one truck was slammed into one at 200 miles a hour or even 80 miles a hour. Think about it. Would your odds greatly multiply with an above ground hell yea it would and would the odds of something demolishing it, probably not. But still, below ground is safer.

But as I get older the ease of use of an above ground is looking more and more useful.

There's also no way for a tornado to get underneath the above ground, it's bolted down. The rigs and pickups you're talking about arent bolted to the ground and have ample clearance for a tornado to be able to get wind underneath it.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After alot research, I am building a 8 x 8 above ground safe room. I welded the frame and am having my neighbor weld the sheets on. He's an iron worker and has a MIG which will go alot faster than my stick welder. It'll be hell for stout when its finished. Im placing it under the covered porch and anchoring with epoxy. It will be accessible from the garage.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After alot research, I am building a 8 x 8 above ground safe room. I welded the frame and am having my neighbor weld the sheets on. He's an iron worker and has a MIG which will go alot faster than my stick welder. It'll be hell for stout when its finished. Im placing it under the covered porch and anchoring with epoxy. It will be accessible from the garage.

I hope the slab is strong enough. I would bolt that down and maybe epoxy it as well. My above ground is bolted down about every 9 ", expect for where the door is.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha, it'll be bolted down... The epoxy is to hold the bolts in the concrete. Some use wedge anchors but I prefer epoxy bc of the holding strength. I built the house so I know the slab and footing below is definately strong enough. Rest assured, this will meet or exceed FEMA standards and will be as strong as the best commercial steel safe rooms on the market. Ive done my homework and wouldn't cut corners on a structure that I put my family in during a tornado.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We put in an above ground 5 x 7 safe room out in our shop building. The ease of entry was one concern as well as flooding. The advantage of it being out there is that we can set in the shop and watch TV and monitor the storm spotters and just be a couple of feet from the safe room. The shop is solar powered so even if the power goes out we are still good to go. As we get older the above ground looks better and better, especially now that we have another dog. I am getting the dog used to going into the safe room so that should not be a problem if we need to use it. Since the 1 yr. old dog is already 66 lbs a below ground just would not work.
I was considering this. I have a 1800' shop with a big screen TV in it but no solar. Could get a generator for it.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was considering this. I have a 1800' shop with a big screen TV in it but no solar. Could get a generator for it.

You could always just get one or two deep cycle batteries and a good inverter. You will need some way to keep them charged up. I can recommend COTEK sign wave inverters. I have a 2000 watt and a 600 watt and have been very pleased with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom