Frozen Water Lines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My main worry at our place is frozen sprinkler heads on our aerobic septic system.
So far I can only find one of the three. It was covered in ice; I kicked the ice off and it popped back down, so hopefully it will flow.
I'm going to keep looking for the other two.

I have battled this myself. I’ll explain how I keep them working.

I covered each before the snow with empty cattle mineral tubs.

I then made little charcoal powered furnaces for each one out of small coffee cans by cutting 3 slots around the circumference of the bottom of the can and bent them in for airflow vents.

I start charcoal in one of those chimney starters and fill each coffee can half way with white hot charcoal, placing the can a couple inches from the sprinkler head, then put the mineral tub back over everything while the charcoal is burning. This thaws the ice and dries everything out.

Just before bed, I remove the tubs so the sprinklers will spray over night. They freeze up again when they finish spraying, but the charcoal process will thaw them out and get them ready for the next night.

I have no idea what to expect if the temps get to -15 tonight like they are calling for.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been fortunate. We're on a slab, but have plumbing on two outside walls in the utility room (south side of the house). I run a small electric heater in there pointed at the south wall (washer lines) when it's really cold (have used a 100W lamp in times past).

Had the house built in '76, and so far, so good.
:drunk2:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have battled this myself. I’ll explain how I keep them working.

I covered each before the snow with empty cattle mineral tubs.

I then made little charcoal powered furnaces for each one out of small coffee cans by cutting 3 slots around the circumference of the bottom of the can and bent them in for airflow vents.

I start charcoal in one of those chimney starters and fill each coffee can half way with white hot charcoal, placing the can a couple inches from the sprinkler head, then put the mineral tub back over everything while the charcoal is burning. This thaws the ice and dries everything out.

Just before bed, I remove the tubs so the sprinklers will spray over night. They freeze up again when they finish spraying, but the charcoal process will thaw them out and get them ready for the next night.

I have no idea what to expect if the temps get to -15 tonight like they are calling for.

Here is how we suggest to do them. On initial install or retro fit the the sprinkler heads to be in small hard sided water junction boxes. Before the sprinkler head is attached secure a water tight plastic jug over the pipe, install sprinkler head. In winter, pour RV antifreeze in the water tight plastic jug inside the water box around the sprinkler head base. Still have to keep snow from piling on top, but they will function and flow in freezing temps.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is how we suggest to do them. On initial install or retro fit the the sprinkler heads to be in small hard sided water junction boxes. Before the sprinkler head is attached secure a water tight plastic jug over the pipe, install sprinkler head. In winter, pour RV antifreeze in the water tight plastic jug inside the water box around the sprinkler head base. Still have to keep snow from piling on top, but they will function and flow in freezing temps.

You have any pictures?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Top Bottom