Frustrated with H&H

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thursday morning I went to H&H to pick up some reloading supplies. I had almost decided to buy the new small Taurus .380. I was going to get it at Academy who has them priced at $279. I was surprised to see it priced at H&H for $289. I wish I had bought it then, but I didn't have time to mess with it then. I went back today to pick it up and the price was $309. WTF?? I asked the guy about it and he was clueless. I asked if they would honor the price from a few days ago and he looked like a deer in the headlights - way out of the box for him I guess. The gun was in the exact place in the exact case it was on Wednesday, but it was $20 more.

Btw, I really like the trigger on this gun compared to the LCP and the Kel-Tec.

None of the Academy stores in town have them in stock, but they have 51 of them in the warehouse in Texas.. so might see one here soon.

Maybe it was just mislabeled on Thursday, but I made a special trip just to pick up this gun today. grrrrr

B

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can talk to who ever you want all the way up to Mile Hall the owner, they will not budge on their prices not price match.

I paid full price for a shotgun from them as it was the last one in the city. I had a scratch on the reciever and they would not even discount it at all. I was told either buy as it sits for full price or go else where.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can talk to who ever you want all the way up to Mile Hall the owner, they will not budge on their prices not price match.

I paid full price for a shotgun from them as it was the last one in the city. I had a scratch on the reciever and they would not even discount it at all. I was told either buy as it sits for full price or go else where.

Thats why i dont buy guns from H a H anymore, payed full price for an OD green sr9 with a scratch on the slide. Bass pro got one in the next day for $20 less with no scratch. Should have waited.:slap:
OSA and gunbroker is where i shop now. Just bought a left hand Rem 700 SPS on Gunbroker for $560 and $20 to ship. H a H has the same gun for $629 plus tax.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never run across a "good" deal at H&H. It's mostly a place to window shop for me, they have a pretty good selection so if I'm internet shopping something and I need to see it in person, that is one of the first places I go.

But... every time I'm there I see why they don't worry about competitive pricing, they get LOADS of first time buyers in there. Tons of their customers don't have any idea what a firearm should cost. They are the most visible gun store in the metro area and they're taking advantage of that. If I was running the place I might do the same thing.

I will say I've found a few accessories that were priced competitively, specifically GSG mags, so it doesn't hurt to shop them on some items but I doubt very seriously I'll ever buy a gun from them.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why does everyone slam H&H? It's a HUGE store with EVERYTHING you could ever want. Overhead like that costs money.

$10 more than Academy sounds pretty damn competetive to me. Expecially since Academy didn't have one in stock. Don't know why they went up $20 (not $30 as exaggerated) but still pretty damn close.

If the news does a story on the 2nd Amendment or shooting do they go to Academy and interview a guy from the gun counter? No? H&H is good for our cause.

Support you local gun shops. Anyone can get a better price on the internet.

:rant:

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry.. i meant to say they were $30 higher than Academy. Originally they were only $10 more and I totally agree that is in the ball park and not unreasonable.. hence the trip to go buy it! I like H&H too. Good place with good people. I have bought all sorts of stuff there and lots of range time.

I was just disappointed they changed the price on this gun and wouldn't consider giving me the price they had on it two days earlier.

B

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never run across a "good" deal at H&H. It's mostly a place to window shop for me, they have a pretty good selection so if I'm internet shopping something and I need to see it in person, that is one of the first places I go.

But... every time I'm there I see why they don't worry about competitive pricing, they get LOADS of first time buyers in there. Tons of their customers don't have any idea what a firearm should cost. They are the most visible gun store in the metro area and they're taking advantage of that. If I was running the place I might do the same thing.

I will say I've found a few accessories that were priced competitively, specifically GSG mags, so it doesn't hurt to shop them on some items but I doubt very seriously I'll ever buy a gun from them.
I bought an M1A there and got it several hundred dollars ($399) less than the nearest competitor, who was local and didn't have it in stock which means I would have had to wait. Nobody except gunbroker had them at that time and we all know GB's prices. :loser:
Buds' last price (not in stock) was less than $100 cheaper than H&H's price. So I didn't get a screaming, hair on fire deal, but considering the market it was not a bad deal at all. I call that a good deal.
Doesn't H&H give you a free range session with a gun purchase? That would help even things out.
It's half the normal range fee.

I buy from H&H because I like the fact that they are there, have a great facility, let the action matches go on, and just do a bang up job of supporting our sport in general. Do I price shop? Yes, I don't buy everything there, but I appreciate what they do so I support them from time to time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom