Gay marriage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nobody says you can't oppose gay marriage. Just that as a matter of public policy, equal protection under the law trumps any argument against it religious or otherwise. But you have to admit most opponents to gay marriage do so with a strong religious tilt. The meme just highlights the position of "because God said so" is the same reasoning as middle eastern theocrats.

Another way to look at the meme is as shrill name calling in that it is comparing people to _______ (fill in the blank) terrorists if they oppose same sex marriages.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We are talking coulda, shoulda, woulda. Can you lay forth the argument from said atheist. I'm probably closer to an atheist than anyone in this thread, so I'm curious as to the reasoning.

Why would an atheist be against gay marriage? Homosexuality is only immoral in the eyes of religion.

Does an atheist need a reason besides they think it would make it hard to sit down or their food taste a little salty? Can you say there are no atheists that are against same sex marriage? Since you cannot logically do that (not that logic would derail an argument on this forum) it cannot be made into an argument based only on religious beliefs.

Point is that framing this as only an argument for those that are religious is not true. Using this to call people of any religion “bigots” for standing up to their beliefs is nothing less than illustrating intolerance with shrill name calling.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are no logical secular arguments against gay marriage that I can think of......you could argue otherwise, but it is pretty obvious that most of the arguments against "SSM" do originate from a religious construct. I agree that there are most assuredly atheist/secular people who are against same sex marriage, or homosexuality in general, but I haven't heard any valid reasons(secular or not) to deny one couple the same legal rights held by other couples. The biggest argument is that id redefines marriage(man and woman) and that has a religious subtext to it.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does an atheist need a reason besides they think it would make it hard to sit down or their food taste a little salty? Can you say there are no atheists that are against same sex marriage? Since you cannot logically do that (not that logic would derail an argument on this forum) it cannot be made into an argument based only on religious beliefs.

Point is that framing this as only an argument for those that are religious is not true. Using this to call people of any religion “bigots” for standing up to their beliefs is nothing less than illustrating intolerance with shrill name calling.

Wouldn't it be easier to just admit that homosexuals are icky?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If they exist then you should be able to provide a response quite easily. Not saying they don't, I'm just curious and it should be easy to reference.

Problem is with your coulda, shoulda, woulda is that I can describe the biological reason why some people's food tastes salty.

I'm asking you.... directly..... again..... since I have no anecdotal experience..... what reason would someone who is atheist or even agnostic have for FUNDAMENTALLY being opposed to gay marriage?

Logically speaking, the only prejudice I'm aware of to gay marriage was religion based.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If they exist then you should be able to provide a response quite easily. Not saying they don't, I'm just curious and it should be easy to reference.

Do you really think that ONLY people of religious beliefs can be against same sex marriages? That only religion drives their rationale? More on the secular case against same sex marriage in a second.

Problem is with your coulda, shoulda, woulda is that I can describe the biological reason why some people's food tastes salty.

Sorry … My shot at being facetious went high. Some may like that their food tastes like “richard” or that it hurts to sit down.

Logically speaking, the only prejudice I'm aware of to gay marriage was religion based.

I do not mean to disparage you but you are not speaking “logically”. They don’t have to have a prejudice much less a religious-based reason to be against same sex marriages.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1082190/posts

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Are you saying there are no atheists in gay bath houses?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you really think that ONLY people of religious beliefs can be against same sex marriages? That only religion drives their rationale? More on the secular case against same sex marriage in a second.

Sorry … My shot at being facetious went high. Some may like that their food tastes like “richard” or that it hurts to sit down.

I do not mean to disparage you but you are not speaking “logically”. They don’t have to have a prejudice much less a religious-based reason to be against same sex marriages.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1082190/posts

sorry, but citing having children as a reason for allowing or disallowing others to marry is total crap. Not only that, it's insulting to couples who have unsuccessfully tried for years to have children or have simply chosen not to have kids (for whatever personal reasons).

Yes, you cited the article as a non-religious reason for being against gay marriage. Now i'm saying why that article (specifically the article, not you or your stance) is total and complete nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom