Gen 5 Glocks at Big Boys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock is dangerously close to going the way of Colt. They cannot become complacent within the market less the niche be filled by hungrier companies...

Take it from a newer gun owner: I never even considered buying a Glock because of how behind the curve they are when compared to essentially any other brand. What does Glock have going for it other than its name? Reliability and simplicity that supposedly no other company can match? Lol, other brands have models which are proven as reliable and without thumb safeties. I mean, Glock did lose the military contract because it received a lower grade in reliability than the Sig P320, among other things.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a lot of misconceptions floating around on here about the gen 5. It's essentially a completely different gun than the gen 4s, yet feels so similar that people keep saying it's just a Gen 4 without the finger grooves.

The average Joe probably can't tell the difference but the internals have been redesigned and the two parts that break the most were redesigned so you should see even greater reliability and longevity from the pistols. In addition the gen 5s are shooting 1.5" groups at 25 yards versus 2.5-3" groups from the gen 4s.

Idk what people want from a pistol that Glock isn't doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take it from a newer gun owner: I never even considered buying a Glock because of how behind the curve they are when compared to essentially any other brand. What does Glock have going for it other than its name? Reliability and simplicity that supposedly no other company can match? Lol, other brands have models which are proven as reliable and without thumb safeties. I mean, Glock did lose the military contract because it received a lower grade in reliability than the Sig P320, among other things.

The biggest reason Glock lost the contract is because Sigs bid was significantly cheaper. In addition, you and I cannot buy the guns that were submitted to the contract so it has no impact on the civilian market imo.

I'm curious, how is Glock behind the curve?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as there are armed professionals out there, true professionals, there will be glocks out there.

Gun hobbyists want more cool looking stuff from Glock, I get it.

I know my Gen 3 G22 wouldn't run right with a WML. Maybe I didn't show it my Operator status?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Newer platforms typically have at least some ergo modularity to fit the user, couple that with better sights and a better trigger and Glock is definitely behind the curve.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

They're no longer market leaders, but rather followers of trends. Look at how long they took to introduce a single stack 9 or a subcompact into a market already saturated with good options. The parts which were prone to breakage didn't get improved until now despite the problem being known, apparently.

In what way has Glock in recent years been ahead of the curve and lead new market trends instead of lagging behind?

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a lot of misconceptions floating around on here about the gen 5. It's essentially a completely different gun than the gen 4s, yet feels so similar that people keep saying it's just a Gen 4 without the finger grooves.

The average Joe probably can't tell the difference but the internals have been redesigned and the two parts that break the most were redesigned so you should see even greater reliability and longevity from the pistols. In addition the gen 5s are shooting 1.5" groups at 25 yards versus 2.5-3" groups from the gen 4s.

Idk what people want from a pistol that Glock isn't doing.

Glock says sub 4" groups at 25 yds for the gen 5, and that's more accurate than the previous generations, due to traditional rifling in the new barrel, vs polygonal rifling used previously.

Which is why mine have Barsto barrels.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many g22's did you try out that didn't work w a weaponlight? How many weaponlights did you try?

Me personally? 1 surefire 1 Pryocon but that doesn't matter... it was enough of a problem for LEOs and non-operators that Streamlight commented on their website about it. Not to mention you can google several guys having issues. I believe some LE depts turned theirs in because of it.

http://www.streamlight.com/resources/learning/frequently-asked-questions See product specific.

Seems the 4th gen recoil system fixed the issue though, but I sold my 3G G22.

Latest posts

Top Bottom