Get back into shape..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arenathlete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The article went on to recommend that you do your cardio first, then hit the weights.

If you cardio first, you generally tire your "stabilizing" muscles out; this can be a serious problem if your following workout involves squats/deadlifts and even bench(anything that really requires your "stabilizers" to work hard) that is in the 70-100% of your 1RM catagory

If you're sculpting your guns "Ron Burgandy-style", then cardio away brother!

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
P90X is an amazing workout, probably hands down the best workout you can do from home. Along with running regularly, if you follow the program you will get in shape.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also decided here recently that I need to come down some from the heaviest I've ever been. I'd like to turn this 6' 215lb body back into about 190lbs of lean green fightin' machine.

I started changing some of my eating habits too...

I now eat a daily serving of Chobani 0% Greek Yogurt (w/ fruit on bottom) with a portion of Bear Natural Peak Protien Granola mixed in. It's a total of 280 calories, 21 grams of protien and 6 grams of fat and it tastes AMAZING! It's normally my mid-day pick me up instead of grabbing a coke as I normally would have. I've cut down to one coke per day, make sure I drink 8 8oz portions of water (this is easy for me as I love water).

I also started using an online calorie counter to watch my intake for the day. I used the one at everydayhealth.com and it also let's you track exercise jointly to adjust your calorie intake along side your daily activity. The coolest thing about the calorie counter is that you can see EXACTLY what those things you injest are costing you. I quickly learned that a few of the things I like to eat (like Target's Chicken Salad) will chew up almost all of your recommended calories for half the day if you eat what seems like a normal adult man-sized portion.

Remember, exercising is key but you also have to feed the machine properly. I LOVE food but I have found that as long as I don't fill up on all the crap that costs me a ton of calories, then there is plenty of room for good, tasty eats that are also good for me.

Good luck!

HKCHEF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Losing weight is almost entirely based on diet. Change your diet completely. Eat low fat, high fiber, nutrient rich, seasonal veg, seasonal fruit and take vitamins. Watch your portions, buy smaller plates and bowls, eat 5 to 6 small meals a day. Don't have a cheat day every week, cheat once a month or less. Exercise will speed weight loss but if can't control your diet your goal results will be harder and take much longer to hit.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also decided here recently that I need to come down some from the heaviest I've ever been. I'd like to turn this 6' 215lb body back into about 190lbs of lean green fightin' machine.

I started changing some of my eating habits too...

I now eat a daily serving of Chobani 0% Greek Yogurt (w/ fruit on bottom) with a portion of Bear Natural Peak Protien Granola mixed in. It's a total of 280 calories, 21 grams of protien and 6 grams of fat and it tastes AMAZING! It's normally my mid-day pick me up instead of grabbing a coke as I normally would have. I've cut down to one coke per day, make sure I drink 8 8oz portions of water (this is easy for me as I love water).

I also started using an online calorie counter to watch my intake for the day. I used the one at everydayhealth.com and it also let's you track exercise jointly to adjust your calorie intake along side your daily activity. The coolest thing about the calorie counter is that you can see EXACTLY what those things you injest are costing you. I quickly learned that a few of the things I like to eat (like Target's Chicken Salad) will chew up almost all of your recommended calories for half the day if you eat what seems like a normal adult man-sized portion.

Remember, exercising is key but you also have to feed the machine properly. I LOVE food but I have found that as long as I don't fill up on all the crap that costs me a ton of calories, then there is plenty of room for good, tasty eats that are also good for me.

Good luck!

Thanks for the website. I've started my calorie counter to help my progression!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm also trying to get back in better shape. I was getting close, but then I got so busy during the last 3 months that I had zero time to exercise or fix a decent meal and so I shot back up to 225lbs.

So the other day, my wife posted a pic from early on in our relationship.

[Broken External Image]

I want to fit in those jeans again... and have that jaw line...

Realistically, I'll bet that 40 max will do it for me because at that time I couldn't bench the 45lb bar and struggled curling the EZ-bar (25lb)... Now I bench 145lbs, curl 95lbs, and squat 225lbs.

So when I get all the fat off that I accumulated from working at a desk, I'll probably make it between 180 and 190 because I'm lifting, too. I was 150 or so in that picture if I remember right.

So basically, my goal isn't actually measured in weight, but in inches.

That... and my asthma seems to almost disappear every time I drop below 200lbs.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Small progress update.

Last two mornings I've gotten up and jogged the 2.2 miles.
Day 1: took me 23 minutes. Not great at all, but for my first true run in 8 months or so, its a starting point.
Today: Dropped 30 seconds off my time.

I have set a goal to be able to run a 5k in about 30 minutes or less. Once I achieve that, I will start tossing in weights and transition to weights for the core of my workout (via p90x).

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I'm a little lost. I've been messing with the calorie counter, and they recommended a 2000cal/day for me to reach my goal.. They've got it broken down into categories and how much of each you can have.

Today, I've only eaten 2 small apples, and 1 banana and I'm already freaking over the amount of sugar they recommend. How in the HELL is it possible to stay under if a few pieces of fruit kill me already??

Latest posts

Top Bottom