Get ready for Sunday&Monday.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still hate winter, but I hope it goes ahead and snows like crazy. If I'm gonna be cold, might as well get some moisture out of it.

For all you bean cookers - whether you like hot links or ham, an actual ham hock or a pig's foot in the pot will improve your beans immeasurably. The gelatin that cooks out will thicken and enrich those beans in a way that plain ol' muscle meat and fat won't.

I put a big pot on and made some cornbread, it's gonna be tasty!

I keep about half a dozen big smoked ham hocks in the freezer in vac sealed individual bags. I like the biggest ones I can find when I buy em. They cook better and you can get a lot of great meat off a large ham hock to add back to the beans

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you smoke it? I just happen to have two rolls of B&G and would love to smoke some.
I use B&G to put in means only. To smoke sausage I use Jimmy Deans Maple flavord and paint it with pancake syrup. Just cut the wrap off and lay it on the grate and paint the syrup on. Smoke at 200 for 3 hours and then check internal temp. to see if its done or needs more time. 150* is where I stop. and if you want turn the heat down at that point to cool smoke longer.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a Masterbuilt electric smoker years ago that I use when I'm in a hurry or can't babysit the smoker.

Pick your wood of choice and just place however much sausage you want to smoke and fire it up. I think the last time I did it I tried to keep the temp at around 205 or so and it let it smoke until the internal temp of the sausage was above 165.

So you just throw a roll/log of sausage on there and smoke it as a big roll? Then slice it up or crumble it up later or what? If I'm missing something let me know. To me, I think of B&G as a roll of ground up sausage, like Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage. I've made "fatties" where I use sausage as a coating over a filling, or armadillo eggs, where I cover a jalapeno with sausage, but I've never taken just plain ol' sausage in a roll or in patties and smoked it like that by itself.

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you just throw a roll/log of sausage on there and smoke it as a big roll? Then slice it up or crumble it up later or what? If I'm missing something let me know. To me, I think of B&G as a roll of ground up sausage, like Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage. I've made "fatties" where I use sausage as a coating over a filling, or armadillo eggs, where I cover a jalapeno with sausage, but I've never taken just plain ol' sausage in a roll or in patties and smoked it like that by itself.
Yep, I just take a plain log of B & G, or another brand, I put the rub of your choice on it and I smoke it to an internal temp of around 165. If you are feeling real frisky, mash the sausage on a gallon zip lock, about 1/2" thick, fill with cut mushrooms and cheese and roll in a log, (sealed good) and smoke it that way. I usually just smoke the logs with rub, slice and eat and left overs crumbled with scrambled eggs and cheese make great breakfast burritos.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
February 1971 was working in Woodward as jr high coach/ teacher when a blizzard hit there. Being from NE Oklahoma I had never seen 26 inches of snow in 24 hrs!!! Shut Woodward down for over a week. Only in and out was by Duce and 1/2 s via the national guard. Food stores lost their supplies of milk, meat, bread etcWe had to make our own baby food with a borrowed blender and canned vegetables. 10 foot drifts in the apartment parking lot so no one could get out. Story goes on and on but last thing I remember vividly was snow still piled up in parking lots in April!

I remember that storm WELL. My grandfather passed away in Buffalo and we had to drive down from outside of Chicago. Got stuck in Coldwater, KS (roads closed). Found a Motel that had snow over the roof. They told us there were two car haulers in the parking lot but they were covered in snow. I remember my Uncle got flown into Buffalo by the Army on chopper.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember that storm WELL. My grandfather passed away in Buffalo and we had to drive down from outside of Chicago. Got stuck in Coldwater, KS (roads closed). Found a Motel that had snow over the roof. They told us there were two car haulers in the parking lot but they were covered in snow. I remember my Uncle got flown into Buffalo by the Army on chopper.
That week everything was closed the Guard took volunteers from Woodward to the old military airport at Gage and they helped load Heuys withe hay all day. The hueys would fly over herds of cattle and kick out the bales. That we;to daylight to dark for a week. I volunteered for one day. 2 1/2 ton trucks to Gage was quite a trip. The country side was stark but in its own way beautiful. I believe WoodwArd county had over 10000 head of cattle I. It. Something like over 1000 were lost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom