Giant Rattlesnake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroupGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I came across a water snake bigger than that once laying across my pond dam. Couldn't see the head or tail, so I shot it in the body three times with CCI Stinger .22 hollowpoints and it just slithered into the water like nothing happened. I know I hit it as I could see the chunks I was taking out of it from only 7-8 feet away. Never saw it again but had never seen it before until that day. There are some big ole snakes out there in Oklahoma farm ponds.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5 rings on the tail-- coon tail rattler / diamond back.

I was out deer hunting once and when I stepped out of my truck and there was a 5'6" coon tail rattler coiled right at my feet.. that started rattling w/ its head back. I just happened to be holding my holstered .357 Mag in my right hand. I fired six rounds as fast as I could... hitting the snake once just below the head... it flopped hard against my boot just above the ankle. I thought I had been bitten!!!! It then slithered off into the grass. I was alone, 30 miles from any hospital / doctor and didn't have a cell phone back then. Scared the Hell out of me! I wasn't about to let a snake that might result in my death get away. So I reloaded quickly, found it and finished it off. Then I checked for a bite and found that I was OK.

I had been gonna deer hunt from a ground blind using the .357. Since I was OK and the snake was dead... I thought if I waited a while the animals would get over the gun shots and start moving around again.

It was still warm that year and grasshoppers by the hundreds were making their rattling / buzzing sound. As I sat there in that ground blind, they all got to sounding like rattlesnakes to me... so I packed up and went home.

If anyone ever wants a easy way to preserve a snake skin.... slit it down the belly... skin it... scrape the fat off the bottom and roll the skin up loosely so there is a little space between the layers. Then put it in a can [like a old coffee can] with a 50 / 50 mixture of denatured alcohol & glycerin. Let it set in the solution for 4-6 weeks. I had my snake skin hanging on the wall for almost 20 yrs before it finally dried out. It would have lasted longer if I had just retreated it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with Dustin. Snake is just an 3 or four footer. Nothing big. Hold it in front of the camera with the right lens, and it looks huge.
I can make a 2lb bass look like a 10 pounder with the right lens, and the way the person holds it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom