Got 2 sheep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. I tend to overlook my total cost when raising animals on my small homestead/hobby farm

For example we raised 2 feeder pigs and put them in the freezer this year. Is it really good pork and a great experience? Yes. Is it cost effective? No… I can buy factory farm raised pork at the grocery store cheaper than I can even raise my own. But you can’t put a price on the satisfaction of raising your own food.

Sometimes I get frustrated when people gripe about food prices and they think that meat/dairy products should be absolutely dirt cheap. In this fast paced modern civilization, we have lost connection with our food so much that we don’t respect it.
If I put a dollar amount to the deer and elk in my freezer, it would be a major loss compared to store bought meat infused with growth hormones and whatever they get at the feed lots.
I'll take my wild game every day in a trade.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma law... It is illegal to have a lamb or goat’s back feet inside your boots.
There was this one time in deer camp.........over 45 years ago.

It was opening weekend, I was in college.
We would leave Friday, after work and drive to Mason, Texas. Then, head to London to the dance hall.

The table behind us had 3 men and a 17 yo boy. The boy kept talking to us and finally, moved over to our table.

A couple of the guys kept slipping him drinks. He was pretty drunk. He started asking " who were the easy girls?"
And asked "if he needed to get laid? was he a virgin?" He said, "YES" and we suggested a goat.

Took a lot of talking and few more drinks, but he agreed.

Just down the ways, maybe half mile, a rancher had a bunch of Spanish goats. He hauled him down and pointed him in the right direction. He got one pretty quick. We laughed at him "for picking the UGLY one." and pointed out a large ewe for him.

He caught her, but couldn't figure out to get her cooperation. The one of us not laughing too much to talk, told him to put her back legs in his boots. He did.

She was stomping and kicking, he couldn't get the deed done.

Took him back to dance hall. His legs and ankles were so cut up, he could barely walk. Told his Dad, "he stepped off the curb and twisted BOTH ankles."

Yeah, I know, we are all going to H***.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope I am eating it.
I have seen free horses and donkeys on craigslist and think to myself HHHMMM wonder if they would let me shoot them on sight and gut them there and load in the back of my car.

But then I would need another freezer because all the coons and dillers and other critters in there taking up space.

username checks out lol

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My family like lamb meat, and an opportunity came up for me to get 2 young rams cheap.

I bought them with the intention of just raising to market weight and sending to freezer camp. But they’re so darn cute I’m thinking of running more fencing and keeping a small flock!

The little guy with horns could have breeder potential maybe? Good lookin little ram.

Yeah, he would end up a pet in my household. :-)

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
been raising small goats (pygmy and nigerian dwarf) for 30+ years now. Showing with kids etc. Kids have grown but I still raise them. Decided to purchase a couple of Boer does to breed to my Nigerian Dwarf bucks to make a more 'all round' homestead goat......pet, milk, meat. I had a wether ( neutered male) of the mix breed I had tagged for butcher. Never named him, etc....... came time I put him down with 22 behind the ear and dressed as if a deer. Mainly did it to see if I could......went well.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. I tend to overlook my total cost when raising animals on my small homestead/hobby farm

For example we raised 2 feeder pigs and put them in the freezer this year. Is it really good pork and a great experience? Yes. Is it cost effective? No… I can buy factory farm raised pork at the grocery store cheaper than I can even raise my own. But you can’t put a price on the satisfaction of raising your own food.

Sometimes I get frustrated when people gripe about food prices and they think that meat/dairy products should be absolutely dirt cheap. In this fast paced modern civilization, we have lost connection with our food so much that we don’t respect it.
There was a time when a homesteader could put food in the freezer for cheap.
It's been a number of years though. I recall buying piglets for $15-25 ,sacked feed for $ 4-5 and change and processing for .35 cents per lb. Prior to Joe we put chicken up for cheap, but we hatched the chicks. That thread is in this section somewhere. But given the current environment , cheap is no longer possible. Folks selling eggs for 2-3 bucks are likely taking a loss. Labor of the small producer is never factored in . If it was eggs would be a buck a piece or better.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have now accumulated 4 females. Bought a mom with a nursing lamb and 2 young ewes.

I’m thinking one of boys will go to freezer camp in February, and the other one will get to live with the gals.
Where's the beef ? 😁🤣🤣 last lamb chop I had tasted like grass. Yes, I have chewed on grass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom