Got a chrony today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't shoot your Chrony.... You'd be surprised.

I built an 18" long tray out of 6" wide Steel channel and a piece of 1/2" plate angled back at 45 deg., at the front, and a tripod adapter underneath. I tacked on pieces of SS brake tubing so I could support the skyscreens with wooden dowels. "IF" you shoot a wooden dowel, no problem. Shoot one of the supplied steel rods attached to a lightweight chrony on a lightweight tripod and it's going down.

If you have trouble getting velocities on bright or partially cloudy days, a cardboard box may help.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember, a Chrony will measure the speed of a bullet going over the screens. It will not measure the speed of a bullet going through the screens.

That's actually easier to do than you might think. Remember, the POI of a scoped rifle is going to be 1.5 inches low (depending on your scope mounts) at close range. That's how I killed mine.

Fun things you can do with a Chrony. When setting it up, place a small diameter stick in the hinge for your shot strings. Then remove the stick for your buddy's shot strings. That little stick will shorten the distance 'twixt the screens, and add a considerable amount of velocity to your loads. Remember though, that's just for goofing around, not for serious load development!

Latest posts

Top Bottom