Got my Lifetime Hunting License Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are a heck of deal. Honestly they are almost too good to be true. I can't believe they haven't done away with them or significantly raise the price. The ODWC is taking a beating over the money they would make selling individual tags every year, especially as low as interest rates currently are.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are a heck of deal. Honestly they are almost too good to be true. I can't believe they haven't done away with them or significantly raise the price. The ODWC is taking a beating over the money they would make selling individual tags every year, especially as low as interest rates currently are.
I am not sure they take a beating. They put the purchase price of the lifetime back and use only the interest earned. They earn on that money forever! The average hunter won't buy 6 deer tags a year, especially over a lifetime. 50 years of license and tags a year versus forever of 8% earned off $500. (I haven't looked lately but I think the combo are now $775.) I used $500 as an average number for the $400 dollar lifetimes and $525 and the current price.
Definitely in the long run, they have a solid trust fund.

IIRC awhile back during the antlered deer limit discussion, the ODWC said the majority of hunters were rifle only hunters, so that would be 4 tags tops. (1 antlered, 2 non antlered for gun season and the 1 non antlered for special holiday season)

8% of the current $775.00 is $62/year. No telling how many lifetime license purchasers are now deceased but continue to have an impact from the original purchase years ago.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8%? Not in today's market. Look at the 2014 report :
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/aboutodwc/ar2014.pdf

They only made a little over 2 million on interest for a measly 2.8% interest rate. Last number I saw was 87 million in a 2012 report in the funds principal. Granted interest rates suck right now but still! Even at 8% they would only make 7 million. Annual license sales exceeded 18 million and that's without 50% of the hunters purchasing license because they have lifetimes! (According to the report). I'm not sure you could double that 18 million number but certainly you could guarantee a better monetary return year after year over relying on a fluctuating interest rate that at its best MIGHT equal what you could make over simply selling everyone annual licenses.

Look I'm glad they have them. I'm just shocked they still do!

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got mine in 2006 as a highschoold grad present from the grandparents. I still call and tell them thanks when I bag a deer or call to tell grandpa about some hunt I go on. Mine is numbered 939XX. I've replaced it once it broke and needs it again now (taped together).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
8%? Not in today's market. Look at the 2014 report :
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/aboutodwc/ar2014.pdf

They only made a little over 2 million on interest for a measly 2.8% interest rate. Last number I saw was 87 million in a 2012 report in the funds principal. Granted interest rates suck right now but still! Even at 8% they would only make 7 million. Annual license sales exceeded 18 million and that's without 50% of the hunters purchasing license because they have lifetimes! (According to the report). I'm not sure you could double that 18 million number but certainly you could guarantee a better monetary return year after year over relying on a fluctuating interest rate that at its best MIGHT equal what you could make over simply selling everyone annual licenses.

Look I'm glad they have them. I'm just shocked they still do!

I'm sure there are thousands that are still contributing even after their death or they are no longer able to hunt physically, or they move out of state. That's the beauty of this program. Interest rates may not be good at this time, but when they were, they made good money from the lifetime sales.
Annual license sales may only last a couple of years per individual.
I'd be interested to see if there was data that could tell how many people that bought an annual license at 16 yrs old still did so when they were 60.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sure think it was and still is a wonderful program. I started buying the deer tags and hunting licenses when I was 16..I think the hunting licenses were 5 dollars and the deer tag was 3 dollars..I bought my lifetime as soon as I had a job and could afford it and was afraid they would never pay off..My, my...that was over 40 years ago. Also just a reminder for those that think they are too old for them to pay off..In the year that you turn 65 you can buy the combination hunting and fishing for 25 dollars..That is a wonderful bargain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom