Got out a trap line today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many cats,fox,coons,possums and skunks can totally wipe out the small game and upland bird populations.
Especially coons,possums and skunks who eat the Quail/Pheasant and Turkey eggs.

30+ years ago when furs were valuable hunters/trappers kept the population down and upland hunting was good. About 1979 Jimmy Carter signed a law on exports. The prices dropped to nothing.
People quit harvesting them and the population exploded.
In a lot of places you will find no squirrel/rabbits/quail or even songbirds when out in the field.
Its that bad.

What you just said!:D We are selling the coons and cat to a fur buyer. Won't even pay for the gas, but its something. Basically we are doing this to help the ground nesting birds. They have gotten so poor with predators, and mother nature not helping, that I've only upland hunted one time this year.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice Dennis, let us know if the furbuyer takes you cat. I read where they only want the ultra-spotted fancy ones, sure is pretty.

I just can't shoot opossums. I've got a soft spot for them. I raised one from a bottle one time. Got him when he was about the size of a mouse. Ruford was his name.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the cat was a young female with short hair. My trapping buddy and I caught it at his place By Tonkawa. That was the only thing caught at his place.
No possums, or anything. Maybe the cat had them thinned out??
We tripped traps today as I have to go back to work.
Ended up with 13 coons, 9 possums, and I can't remember how many skunks.
Had to be 10+.
Got sprayed twice, but kept a spray bottle of the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and soap handy and got rid of the scent. That stuff works great!:D
My buddy only got $40 for the cat. I thought that was too cheap, and questioned the buyer. He pulled out several pelts, and showed the difference.
Highly defined spots don't = big $.
Seems the length of hair and how thick the hair is, makes the difference........according to him.
Have a little more than a month of trapping season to go, so will get out again when my work schedule allows to see whats out there.:D
Ended up getting $240 for what we had. Barely enough to cover fuel, but we didn't get into it to make money.

One year of trapping is not going to make a huge difference in our ground nesting birds but a couple of years down the road with some help from mother nature, maybe they will be back.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the cat was a young female with short hair. My trapping buddy and I caught it at his place By Tonkawa. That was the only thing caught at his place.
No possums, or anything. Maybe the cat had them thinned out??
We tripped traps today as I have to go back to work.
Ended up with 13 coons, 9 possums, and I can't remember how many skunks.
Had to be 10+.
Got sprayed twice, but kept a spray bottle of the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and soap handy and got rid of the scent. That stuff works great!:D
My buddy only got $40 for the cat. I thought that was too cheap, and questioned the buyer. He pulled out several pelts, and showed the difference.
Highly defined spots don't = big $.
Seems the length of hair and how thick the hair is, makes the difference........according to him.
Have a little more than a month of trapping season to go, so will get out again when my work schedule allows to see whats out there.:D
Ended up getting $240 for what we had. Barely enough to cover fuel, but we didn't get into it to make money.

One year of trapping is not going to make a huge difference in our ground nesting birds but a couple of years down the road with some help from mother nature, maybe they will be back.

So..... What did you average on the coons?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking set Dennis. I usually pile the grass or cedar limbs on top of the trap and door, making sure they don't hang the door up. Then I keep a ziplock bag of goose breast feathers and throw some of them in the brush on top of the trap to blow around and get the cats attention. Break a forked stick off pencil size or smaller and stick the long end down in the lure and then poke it down through the top of the trap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom