Got out a trap line today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a guy that caught a skunk in his live trap. Wasn't sure how to get it out so he clipped the chain onto a roap and drug it though the pond nice and slow until it quit fidgeting.

I sure wish There had been a pond nearby on these. I thought I was going to have to ride home in the back of my own truck, but by the time the waders, jackets, and gloves came off, the smell went away. They are still in the back of my truck waiting for the smell to go away.:drooling:

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What did your buddy use for bait in his traps? Thats quite a haul getting 4.
I like the Idea of drowning them, but its so dry around us that there is no water. The only water is the pool the beaver are living in, and its a mile from the skunks. I plugged the beaver openings with sticks to see if they are disturbed when going back next weekend. If so, we will set up again.

Pretty sure he was using duck carcasses and Milligan's "Cat-Man-Do" lure.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since the forum has been down, we have had a few more sucesses.
If my count is right, its one cat, 8 coons, lots of possums, and forgot how many skunks. We will be running them again in the morning with lots of new traps.(bought 10 double door traps from craigs list) as well as the others. 21 total live traps.
Baiting with beaver meat, and salmon cat food.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you do with all the animals? Also, what is wrong with these animals being on the land? I have seen what beavers do and that's hard to undo. Skunks as well yuk!. Not sure I know what coons and possums do. Bobcats either. Thought they were helpful in some way.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you do with all the animals? Also, what is wrong with these animals being on the land? I have seen what beavers do and that's hard to undo. Skunks as well yuk!. Not sure I know what coons and possums do. Bobcats either. Thought they were helpful in some way.

Too many cats,fox,coons,possums and skunks can totally wipe out the small game and upland bird populations.
Especially coons,possums and skunks who eat the Quail/Pheasant and Turkey eggs.

30+ years ago when furs were valuable hunters/trappers kept the population down and upland hunting was good. About 1979 Jimmy Carter signed a law on exports. The prices dropped to nothing.
People quit harvesting them and the population exploded.
In a lot of places you will find no squirrel/rabbits/quail or even songbirds when out in the field.
Its that bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom