Grocery stores?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSUFLYBOY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a recent transplant from Mississippi, we would always shop for groceries at a store called Kroger, similar to a Whole Foods, just not as expensive or uppity.

Since moving to OK, my wife and I haven't found a similar type of grocery store. We are looking for a place that sells predominantly groceries, with a deli, bakery, etc. that is NOT a Walmart.

Any suggestions on what I need to try? We live in eastern Mustang now, just looking for a "Real" grocery store, and NOT a "Big Box Store" like Wally World.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reasors seems to be the main Grocery chain in Oklahoma. There's smaller ones like Apple Mart and their sister stores.

(I grew up on Kroger, dad started there as a bagger at like 15 and worked his way up to the Corporate Office in Cincinnati where he retired a few years ago. Kinda cool I thought.)

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you won't find Kroger in this area for sure...........Crest Foods is our go to store......... Yeah, it's a box store concept, but it's groceries only.........and doesn't feel boxy....... WalMart's smaller version is Neighborhood Markets is another option. However, for price conscious shopping we find Crest hard to beat. Good fresh meat/ seafood market, deli, bakery, etc....... Not too bad IMHO

Uptown Grocery is another option, but.............you'll pay more.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reasors seems to be the main Grocery chain in Oklahoma. There's smaller ones like Apple Mart and their sister stores.

(I grew up on Kroger, dad started there as a bagger at like 15 and worked his way up to the Corporate Office in Cincinnati where he retired a few years ago. Kinda cool I thought.)

what was your Dad's name? Kroger was an audit client of mine for the last 15 years........ I was in and out of the Vine St. HQ a couple of times per month. Obviously, I dealt primarily with Finance/Accounting folks and some with Merchandising.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up with a Dad that was in the Wholesale Produce business in Oklahoma, so I have seen a lot of changes over the past 40 years. There used to be a lot small, grocery store chains in Oklahoma, 3-4 stores each. Crest and Reasor's have been about the only ones to survive. Each have their own warehouses now and control costs by buying in bulk and distribute on their own.

But I dont just shop at one place ... Crest seems to have the best overall produce selection and quality ... their meat department is pretty good ... depending on the location they have a decent bakery and cheese section

Buy4Less and Uptown Grocery are owned by the same company ... Uptown is their more upscale footprint and store layout

Its impossible to beat the Mercados for Mexican produce ... Green Onions, Cilantro, Peppers and stuff like that. Also its the place to find Mexican meats; Carne Picada, Chorizo and stuff

The Asian Markets like Super Cao Nguyen are an excellent place as well. Its the only place in the OKC area that I have found whole porkbellies

WinCo is an employee owned chain that is new to Oklahoma. They beat the hell out of Walmart on a lot of prices. They also have a decent produce section and prices

As for milk, you wont find better than Braums

And lastly ... WALMART IS NOT A GROCERY STORE!

Latest posts

Top Bottom