Growing Pains in Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I am quickly out growing my little work area and desiring to expand into a broader retail market I have decided it is about time to open a store front location.

My plans include moving my gunsmith shop to a larger shop and opening a retail section with ammunition, reloading supplies, cleaning supplies and of course firearms.

I do not plan on carrying holsters, gun parts other than night sights and MAYBE a few grips. Ok maybe a few knives and flashlights but will limit it to supplies that everyone needs so that I can offer them at a price that does not have to pay for all the other things that just take up space in most gun shops.

My target area right now is near the new Red Castle indoor gun club but that is also pretty close to OPS indoor range so I hope to draw in shooters from both for ammo.

I also hope to carry consignment items if I can get enough showroom to support more cases and have enough gun safes to hold everything.

What are your thoughts?

What would you like to see in my gun store?

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ideally, you could have the long guns where the customer can get up close and examine them, like the floor racks at sports world or even better the wall racks like Gene Sears in El Reno. If that doesn't work, have large, clear labels affixed to the long guns. Its aggravating having to ask how much and what caliber just because you cant see the tiny, hand printed tag.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's just awesome to have a retail environment with a gunsmith on site.

Considering you're wanting to be next to the ranges, perhaps some targets too?

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are ready for all your good " FRIENDS " here to bad mouth you for being over priced or rude ? At lest you will know who to ban before you open your doors now. Good luck ,it sounds like you have a game plan and should have a custmer base here to start with off the bat .

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are ready for all your good " FRIENDS " here to bad mouth you for being over priced or rude ? At lest you will know who to ban before you open your doors now. Good luck ,it sounds like you have a game plan and should have a custmer base here to start with off the bat .

Unfortunately, probably true.

I think the more Gunstores the better, Gunsmiths, even better.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several friends that run their businesses that blend working on a particular product, and retail sales. It proves to be very difficult if you don't have someone running the retail side as you end up handling that side of the business instead of working on Customer projects. The guy that wants to buy a $1 target will show up in the middle of working on a $1000 gun and want to spend an hour chatting. Always enjoyable but not paying the same rate as the $1000 gun. It's also difficult to staff the retail side as you are the reason people come in so they want to talk to you when they do, not your retail sales person.

In all cases they have modified the "store" hours to be shorter, then work before and after retail hours to get the work out.

This is a great step for you Don, glad things are going well enough to take it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several friends that run their businesses that blend working on a particular product, and retail sales. It proves to be very difficult if you don't have someone running the retail side as you end up handling that side of the business instead of working on Customer projects.

I can see this happening, so an assistant would probably be invaluable for handling sales and customer service. Hire a lovely young woman for that position, and make sure she can handle Mosin-Nagants ;)

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't be a niche shop, have a varity of firearms. Some of everything... sporting rifles and pistols are of course a huge focus on the market bit don't neglect the fact that there is a lack of a mil surp seller in tulsa shy of 99$ nagants downtown(Not knocking TK suply). Also keep in mind home defence, quality hunting, as well as those on a budget. It's hard to do this without just having an eccentric mix of random guns. Anyway best of luck on expanding and I can't wait to come buy a dollar target and chat for an hour or more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom