Gun possession at Canadian Border

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I drove over the road in the 70's, any weapon was not allowed in the cab of the tractor. We all carried tire Billy's. Stick of wood with a lead head on it to "hit the tire to see if it had air in it".
Valid test for the tire, but it also offered a weapon that was allowed. 2013, weapons are not allowed in DOT interstate commerce.

I had a crowbar. I had to pull the nails out of the blocking with something right?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dad told me that when they crossed the Canadian border in 1980 as part of my folks' honeymoon road trip, the lady at the border crossing asked a few questions, one of which was " do you have any firearms in your vehicle?" He said "yes, I have a .357 pistol..." The lady said "do you have any firearms in your vehicle?" She had to ask him another time or two before he caught the drift and said "no," and she waved him on.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Geiner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I talked to them yesterday and they have a gotten an atty. If anyone has any other info regarding this matter, please feel free to post em. All help is welcome. I really appreciate it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to add a bit of information for those planning on traveling to Canada. I participate on three different RV forums and this topic comes up on occasion.

Canada does not allow handguns at all. With respect to long guns, one certainly needs to find a resource for the procedures and paperwork one needs for crossing into their country. I know of a case where one couple knew that their handgun would be illegal, so they left them with a family member before crossing. The problem was that when looking through their RV at the border, the border agents came across a holster for a handgun. That led to them unloading everything from the RV in a search for a suspected handgun.

Here are a couple of links that may be of help. The first is their general website for things to know when crossing into Canada. The second is for the link to their firearms information.

Canada Welcomes You!

Canada Welcomes You!/Firearms

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I drove over the road in the 70's, any weapon was not allowed in the cab of the tractor. We all carried tire Billy's. Stick of wood with a lead head on it to "hit the tire to see if it had air in it".
Valid test for the tire, but it also offered a weapon that was allowed. 2013, weapons are not allowed in DOT interstate commerce.

I came off the road 18 months ago, I always carried a 2 1/2 pound hammer to check my tires.
I can't speak as to dot regulations in the 70's but currently there are no federal laws addressing carrying a firearm in a commercial motor vehicle.

State, county and city laws can and do vary wildly.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

The FMCSA regulations make no mention of weapons in a commercial vehicle. I've carried (concealed) and dealt with LE and it is a non-issue.

As for taking firearms into Canada, one is required to have a PAL or register the firearm (long gun only) at the border. I constantly travel to Canada and simply leave my toys at home. And should I need the service of an barrister, my wife worked for the best in Ontario whom I'd use.

Dual citizenship has it's rewards...

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 1977 I drove to Alaska from Oklahoma on a permanent change of station. Canadian border folks were none to friendly. I had two handguns which had their serial numbers on my military orders. Canadians put the handguns in a clear plastic bag with a lead seal. Told me if the bag was tampered with that I would being doing some time. Four longguns with me did not cause any concern. I suspect it would be very different today.

I would suspect a good canadian lawyer would be in order.

Ryan12322

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years back went to Windsor Canada to visit Harley shop and get a tee-shirt, when the border patrol asked me for my drivers license i accidentally handed them my Oklahoma ID and he assumed i had no drivers license and from that moment forward treated me like dirt, refused to see my drivers license and sent me to the inspection warehouse where my truck was gone thru with fine tooth comb....Apparently if you accidentally show wrong ID they assume your doing something illegal. I then realized after getting my Tee-shirt that Canada truly hates us and i wouldn't be going back anytime soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom