Gun safe in the garage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK099

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're likely to move in a year or two, and I don't really have room for a safe in the house anyway. So, I'm considering putting a safe in the garage. One of the concerns I have is the temperature and humidity swings affecting the contents. Would this be an issue? I know many safes regulate humidity, but are they able to do so in a garage environment with bigger swings than would be encountered inside a house? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know much about the dehumidifiers used in safes, but if you have milsurp firearms with wood stocks, you may want to watch for summertime temps causing cosmoline or oils to leak out of the stocks. Could cause a mess inside the safe.

Plus, if you're moving into a neighborhood with houses close to each other on all sides, you may want to think about how the safe might be visible from the street when the garage door is open.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had my safe in the garage the last 7 or 8 years. 0 problems. I have been known to take all of my guns out and wipe them down with an oily rag every once in a while but not often. Where I live now the safe is in the dining room, I expect 0 problems there too.

BK099

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I'll give it a try. Definitely not ideal, but if I can avoid any damage to the guns i'll manage the other issues. Will tarp it and hopefully no one will be the wiser. Thanks again.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of my gun safes in the garage. It is bolted down and tied in to the alarm system so I am not too worried about theft. However, corrosion is another story. I keep my guns in this safe lubricated with a heavy oil and put them in Stack On anti-corrosion bags. So far there is no sign of corrosion, whether it is the bag or the oil preventing this, I don't know.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a safe in the garage, and so do other shooters I know. It's not a problem. Put a Golden Rod in it. As for visibility from the street, a 48" wide storage rack used to store things completely eliminates it from view, even from inside most of the front half of the garage.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely use a dehumidifier. I also recommend bolting it to the floor and if you are ambitious, pouring a concrete lip around it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom