Gun Show Situation, we need a ruling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekdkdk1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would not consider it a straw purchase. she was not buying the gun to give it to someone else. nor was she buying it for someone else. she was going to buy them to resale them. and that is not illegal. like 90% of osa members who buy and sale.
as a promoter I do not think I would have offered an opinion. legally stay out of it as much as you can. what happens between vendors and buyers stays at the table. bad advice can always come back and bite you. all that being said. I might put a statement on your show contract stating that fact. all seller need to be aware of the law and be willing to pay the consequences for breaking them.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are going to be in the business of selling firearms, you need an FFL. It's that simple. A lot of guys on here will not like that assertion, but it is truth. We've all known "horse traders" who make a lot of money selling guns at gun shows without a license. They are breaking both the laws regarding dealing in firearms without a license, and probably have been routinely breaking tax laws as well.

It's one thing to deal off some pieces because you are enhancing your collection, or sell some because you are scaling down and quite another to regularly engage in the business of selling guns without a license.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW - sounds like you made a prudent decision and gave good advice. Not just because of possible BATFE issues but also to help a dealer make the right decision regardless of police presence. Isn't that the mark of an honorable person - one who does the right thing when no one is watching?

That's integrity.

Honor is doing the right thing regardless of personal cost.

At least that's what I was taught.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to be in the business of selling firearms, you need an FFL. It's that simple. A lot of guys on here will not like that assertion, but it is truth. We've all known "horse traders" who make a lot of money selling guns at gun shows without a license. They are breaking both the laws regarding dealing in firearms without a license, and probably have been routinely breaking tax laws as well.

It's one thing to deal off some pieces because you are enhancing your collection, or sell some because you are scaling down and quite another to regularly engage in the business of selling guns without a license.

You brought the SAUCE right here!!! The truth is hard for some people to here but the truth is still the truth. If you're selling firearms with the intention of making a profit then you're a dealer. Get the license!

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You brought the SAUCE right here!!! The truth is hard for some people to here but the truth is still the truth. If you're regularly selling firearms with the intention of making a profit then you're a dealer. Get the license!

Unlike JB, you left out the word "regularly", so I fixed it for you.

If you look at my first post in the thread, I included the legal definition of a dealer. That definition specifically includes the word regularly. Words have meaning, especially in a legal definition.

A person that buys and sells guns occasionally, even if they make a profit, are not, by definition, dealers.

A person that regularlybuys and sells guns for a profit, are, by definition, dealers.

Anybody that frequents gunshows is aware of the difference. If you regularly see the same people with the "private collection" or "no papers" signs on their tables, and their inventory changes at every show, you can be certain that they are dealing without a license, which is illegal.

If I occasionally buy a gun collection with the intention of selling some of the guns at a profit so that I have little or no money in the ones I keep, or, if I intend to sell them all at a profit, I am not, by definition, dealing without a license.

If I do the same on a regular basis, I am.

There is a difference, and, unfortunately, some people just can't seem to understand that difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom