Gun vs weather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you allowed to carry a gun that isnt black?

Get a Stainless 1911 and fugget abot it! Or have yours cerakoted by the member on here who offers that service. That will get rid of your rust issues.

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure none of us are knocking what you have, because I'm sure its a great gun. But wouldn't your problem be more easily solved with a different firearm? Or a coating of the current one?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wax your gun; it's an old trick. You need to choose a high quality wax that does not contain abrasives. Obviously no wax on the grip/grasping surfaces. Yes, you'll need to reapply periodically.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of waxing, interesting. Can you wax a parkerized finish? I don't even know if thats what it is, per the mfg my gun has a "Covert Black" finish. Think it would do any damage to try waxing it? What wax do you recommend?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carnauba wax is supposed to work. Haven't used it myself. Can't say how wear resistant it might be, especially in a Kydex holster.

I'm pleased to tote stainless or coated finish pistols. A baked-on epoxy finish, applied by an expert, on top of a Parkerized base is very rust resistant. The stainless used for firearms will rust, provided conditions are adverse enough.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Park is a half-measure. Far better finishes are widely (and economically) available. With a new park job, I would bring it home, promptly degrease the snot out of it, and spend another $20 on a can of Norell's Molyresin, or Brownells teflon-moly, in the spray can. Spray it, bake it, done.

Cerakoting, satin chrome, NP3, Norell's, Duracoat, any of these are phenominally better for corrosion protection, either in place of park, or over it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom