Guns you couldn’t bring yourself to shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, not really. I've shot a few NIB collector pieces. Probably to the horror of any collectors that would have seen it. It's alright, they're mine and treated well, despite no longer being "new".

About the only instance I would consider not shooting something was a few years ago in a James Julia auction, there were 10 Winchester 1894s still packed in the original wooden crate as they would have been shipped. Even I wouldn't have gotten those out, they definitely would have been left alone to be preserved as they are.
Actually your money, your purchase and choice. I don't fault anyone who shoots an investment grade firearm. Just don't whine about it if the next appraisal comes out less than you paid for it! Guns are meant to be shot, I just would hate to lose money.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, when I was around 12 years old,,,
My parents gave me a German Drilling for Christmas.

It was a double barrel 20 gauge with a 9.3x57 rifle barrel.

Mom and Dad were antique dealers,,,
They got the drilling in trade for some other stuff.

It had two rounds of the rifle ammo in a trapdoor on the bottom of the stock,,,
When you cocked the rifle action a rear sight hinged up.

Several times I decided that I would fire one of the rounds,,,
But in the 16 years I had the gun,,,
I never pulled the trigger.

Aarond

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Colt 1836 Navy with original holster and a S&W DA 44 Russian 1st model. I never could bring myself to fire the Smith and only fired one shot from the Colt just to know I had fired one. Neither was collectors grade but both were given to me by family. Both were stolen.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually your money, your purchase and choice. I don't fault anyone who shoots an investment grade firearm. Just don't whine about it if the next appraisal comes out less than you paid for it! Guns are meant to be shot, I just would hate to lose money.

I've never lost money, maybe didn't make as much as I could have if it sat in the back of the safe.

However, I'm pretty sure the enjoyment I got out of shooting it and making it LNIB instead of NIB far outweighed the premium I would have got for keeping it pristine. Guns are a hobby for me. Doesn't matter if its one of my super expensive or rare ones, or if it's just a lowly .22 - I don't count them as a investment.

That said, I like things that are older, in high condition, and with accessories, all of which coincides with the collector/investor market. Which is fine, I enjoy their knowledge and company. I just don't tell them I shot particular pieces....

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sort of...

I had an apparently unissued Colt 1911A1 from WWII I bought from a collector who got it from the NRA (similar program to the CMP I guess) back in the early 60s. It was made in 1944, still in the Kraft box, both magazines still wrapped in the wax paper. Had to pretty much give up a kidney for that one.

I'd take it out and fondle it and whisper to it every once in a while. Finally, I went thru this phase where I didn't want guns I wasn't gonna shoot taking up space (and money) in my safe. I had a box of WRA ammo from 1945. I took that ammo, loaded both of the mags for the Colt and fired 14 rounds thru that gun. I then carefully cleaned and oiled it, put it back in the box, and sold it on GunBroker for north of $5,000. Almost 5 times what I paid for it back in the late 80s.

I still have several guns I haven't shot. A really nice Collector Grade CMP Garand that looks like it just came off the production line, a new Python and maybe a few others. Not so much can't bring myself to shoot them as I just have other things to shoot.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not own a gun just to let it sit and not be fired that is just crazy talk but hey its your pecker and your soap you can wash it however you want.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only purchase firearms I'm going to shoot. Had a change to buy a Commemorative rifle celebrating something I didn't think was important. Seller had it priced very reasonable as a shooter, but it was too gorgeous looking to shoot. I passed. Looking back, I should have bought it and made it a tackle box gun, just because of the price, but it was too purrtee to shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom