Guns you couldn’t bring yourself to shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandfather willed me a very old single shot 12 gauge with rust in the top of the barrel. He stored it hanging upside down, lengthwise on a roof rafter in his shack. It leaked constantly. Water would run down the barrel and out the breech. It had a pretty decent amount of corrosion. I wouldn't shoot it.
Gave it to my brother in law and he shouldered it like it wasn't a problem, fired off five rounds, and had no trouble.
To this day I still pull it out and shoot it. I popped a kite earlier this summer with it to keep him off my chickens. He didn't die, but he did decide this wasn't KFC.

My father had an old 38 that he found buried in a flower bed outside of a house we owned. He cleaned it up, but was afraid to shoot it. We took it (I say we, I was about 10...) to the local gunsmith and he tied it to a tree with a string on the trigger. Pulled the trigger and the thing blew apart. We were safely on the other side of the tree so no problems, but if I had one I was afraid of that's probably what I'd do today.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, when I was around 12 years old,,,
My parents gave me a German Drilling for Christmas.

It was a double barrel 20 gauge with a 9.3x57 rifle barrel.

Mom and Dad were antique dealers,,,
They got the drilling in trade for some other stuff.

It had two rounds of the rifle ammo in a trapdoor on the bottom of the stock,,,
When you cocked the rifle action a rear sight hinged up.

Several times I decided that I would fire one of the rounds,,,
But in the 16 years I had the gun,,,
I never pulled the trigger.

Aarond

So, you're saying you no longer own it?!?!?! No way in hell I would have let that go!

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several collector level Smith and Wessons I haven’t shot, but most of them have comparable other guns I shoot. Like I have a new condition model 57 in a presentation case I don’t shoot, but have some 57s and 58s I do shoot

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got curious when I read this thread so I started counting. I counted 24 that I have not fired. There are probably a few more hidden away in boxes. I'd estimate 15-18 of those I purchased new so they are in unfired condition. I didn't necessarily buy them to not fire them. Most I just haven't gotten around to shooting even if I've owned them 10+ years. There are probably only 2 that I have no intention of firing.

I have a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun in stainless ported. The ported versions were discontinued. I will likely not shoot that one.

I have an unfired American 180 still wrapped in the bubble wrap it originally came in. It was purchased new by Fred Baker, the owner of Outdoor America Store in OKC. It's a neat little .22lr machine gun, but I will likely never shoot it either.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had Father in laws new in the box Colt Trooper .22 Magnum (with box, papers, key chain screw driver) that had never been fired since it left the factory. Ended up having to sell it to help mother in law a few months after he passed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom