Guns you couldn’t bring yourself to shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandfather willed me a very old single shot 12 gauge with rust in the top of the barrel. He stored it hanging upside down, lengthwise on a roof rafter in his shack. It leaked constantly. Water would run down the barrel and out the breech. It had a pretty decent amount of corrosion. I wouldn't shoot it.
Gave it to my brother in law and he shouldered it like it wasn't a problem, fired off five rounds, and had no trouble.
To this day I still pull it out and shoot it. I popped a kite earlier this summer with it to keep him off my chickens. He didn't die, but he did decide this wasn't KFC.

My father had an old 38 that he found buried in a flower bed outside of a house we owned. He cleaned it up, but was afraid to shoot it. We took it (I say we, I was about 10...) to the local gunsmith and he tied it to a tree with a string on the trigger. Pulled the trigger and the thing blew apart. We were safely on the other side of the tree so no problems, but if I had one I was afraid of that's probably what I'd do today.
I have used old tractor tires in the past to test fire old military surplus rifles I was not sure about. Tie the rifle to the tire, loop a wire around the trigger and guard, stand way off and giver her a yank.

Last edited:

bubbaloe

Marksman
Reaction score
There’s only been one time in my life that I owned a firearm that I could not bring myself to shoot. It was an unfired colt SP1 with a 1974 production date. It even had the G.I. issue scope mounted on the carrying handle. As hard as I tried to make myself shoot that firearm, I never could take it out and pull the trigger on it.

So here’s my question. Have you ever owned a firearm he just couldn’t make yourself shoot?
I have a S&W 500 83/4 barrel. I just don't have the stones to take it to the range and let'er rip!

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You really should shoot it. Bought mine new back in the day and it is basically the only rifle I have that I have not put an optic on because it is so sweet with the stock iron sights! Gorgeous gun.
I have a another one same year(one number off the other one) and gun I do shoot it. I got them both from my late father in law, he said I bought one to shoot and one to hang on the wall of each gun back then.
He had a lot of guns but the Mini 14s matched my 10/22s so I decided those where the two I wanted. He had shot the one and had the other in a case on the wall just like he said lol
If my daughters decide to shoot it when I pass it along they are more then welcome to but both of em want the one that’s been shot, they both call em the “big 22s”. Funniest part is those two are the only .223/5.56 caliber guns I own, don’t even have a AR chambered in that.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool! Those are great rifles
300 Mashburn recoil without a muzzle brake is somewhere between a NFL linebacker blindside running over you and a face slap with a 2x6
They all thought it was pretty funny, it hurt bad, but the scope didnt get me or it would have been worse

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s only been one time in my life that I owned a firearm that I could not bring myself to shoot. It was an unfired colt SP1 with a 1974 production date. It even had the G.I. issue scope mounted on the carrying handle. As hard as I tried to make myself shoot that firearm, I never could take it out and pull the trigger on it.

So here’s my question. Have you ever owned a firearm he just couldn’t make yourself shoot?
German luger that my great uncle took off of a surrendering German officer…. I totally shoot it because thats what the combat veterans of WW2 would want in celebration of defeating the axis powers!

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A S&W 66 OCPD Commemorative, a S&W OHP Dan Combs Commemorative .357 and a S&W 659 .45 auto I built at the S&W factory in Springfield, MA. Also an OCPD 2000 Commemorative Glock .40. A Ruger NRA Bill Ruger Commemorative .22 auto pistol. Maybe a couple of others I’ve forgotten about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom