Half-Cocked Taurus 1911 Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edg8687

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just put a new main/sear spring in my Taurus 1911. I did this primarily because the stock trigger was crisp but very stiff, stiffer than new ones Ive picked up at the gunstores I frequent. The new spring dropped the pull to a very nice 4#ish pull. Heres where I need help: when I rack the slide, the hammer will drop to half-cock about 15% of the time. It has yet to manifest while doing the test firing, (one in the chamber one in the mag in case it goes full auto on me). Untill I figure this out I will not use the new spring in the gun. What is causing this and how can I fix this (if at all)? Anyone with recommendations for a spring kit for the Taurus? Any input appreciated as this is the first problem Ive had with a gun that when compared to the Colts and Springers I have, has given me fewer problems, equal reliability and accuracy.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just put a new main/sear spring in my Taurus 1911. I did this primarily because the stock trigger was crisp but very stiff, stiffer than new ones Ive picked up at the gunstores I frequent. The new spring dropped the pull to a very nice 4#ish pull. Heres where I need help: when I rack the slide, the hammer will drop to half-cock about 15% of the time. It has yet to manifest while doing the test firing, (one in the chamber one in the mag in case it goes full auto on me). Untill I figure this out I will not use the new spring in the gun. What is causing this and how can I fix this (if at all)? Anyone with recommendations for a spring kit for the Taurus? Any input appreciated as this is the first problem Ive had with a gun that when compared to the Colts and Springers I have, has given me fewer problems, equal reliability and accuracy.

Find another sear.
Had the same problem putting Wilson parts in my Springer. Can have a smith fix it. Mine is going tomorrow....

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not overly familar with the Taurus model 1911, I'll assume it is the same as any other 1911. The Sear Spring has 3 leaves. You need to add more tension on the Left spring leaf, (as the spring sits in the gun) This will put additional pressure on the sear to engage the sear to the hammer. This is assuming the sear has not been damaged and has a burr on it. The additional pressure should not effect the trigger pull dramatically.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have you been dropping the slide on an empty chamber repeatedly?

May be a combination of a wonky sear spring and repeated bashing of the sear/hammer engagement surfaces by dropping the slide, I'd have it checked out before firing it. The above mentioned guys will be able to help you.

You can try to increase the tension on the left leg of the spring as stated above and see what it does, but I'd still get it checked out.

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even the best made drop in parts need to be checked/fit. You will need a gunsmith or a good book to fit them correctly. Did you do the test where you cock the weapon. (ensure the weapon is empty!) Then with thumb safety in fire position and grip safety squeezed. pull the trigger and listen for a click. The reverse positions of safeties. Cock the weapon and then with thumb safety safe and grip not squeezed. Pull trigger and listen. If at either time you hear a light click then take the weapon to a gunsmith to fit or put old parts back in to it. What you are describing is also a failure that should tell you to take to a smith.

The other option is to get books on the 1911 and read up.

Just make sure the weapon is unloaded when working on it.

edg8687

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ill give the tension on the sear spring a try, so far i havent dropped it on an empty chamber (snap cap). It doesnt act up with the factory spring in it so I hope I can reasonably assume that its not the sear or hammer. Im going to pull it apart tonight to have a look at the condition of the sear and hammer and give you all an update then. If they are still in good shape then it sounds like it has to be insufficient pressure on the sear by the spring. If there is unusual wear or a bur Ill get in touch with a smith and go from there. Thanks for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom