Has the Talimena drive foliage peaked?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Foliage Update 10-23-2014*- The fall foliage season along the Talimena National Scenic Byway is just beginning with some light yellows on the still mostly green trees. Talimena State Park has a few trees beginning to change, and the trees at Lake Wister State Park are showing off a few oranges and reds. The Ouachita National Forest is still early in the season with a few yellows and reds popping out against the mostly green foliage. Oklahoma's peak fall foliage season typically begins in late October.

jchip123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made a 450 mile ride yesterday on the bike went south out of Tulsa via 75 to Antlers then over to Talimena Drive then back to Tulsa via 59/I 40.Colors haven't reached peak yet but still well worth the ride, I figure 1 1/2 weeks till full colors.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made a 450 mile ride yesterday on the bike went south out of Tulsa via 75 to Antlers then over to Talimena Drive then back to Tulsa via 59/I 40.Colors haven't reached peak yet but still well worth the ride, I figure 1 1/2 weeks till full colors.

Thanks for the first hand report. Think ill wait til next weekend then.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're going the weekend of Nov 7th...supposedly it will be peaking then. I don't know this to be a fact, just a wild guess actually. I'm going because my wife told me I was.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in 2008, we took a drive up towards NW Arkansas. We were checking out RV's at the time and took my camera along. Basically, we hit Natural Falls State Park (just shy of Arkansas on hwy 412) and then took Highway 71 in Arkansas south from Springdale to Mena and then across the Talimena drive. We spent the night somewhere near I-40 in Arkansas and did the last leg on the second day.

The first day was the best, especially at Natural Falls State Park, which by the way, is only about 1/2 mile off of Highway 412. The second day was way more overcast, so the color didn't show up as well.

This photo from that trip was at Natural Falls State Park. Arriving there, don't go straight to the falls. Take the walkway south to where a bridge crosses over the "gorge" where the falls drop to. Then you can follow the road seen in this image down to the pond in the background. Turn right at the bottom and cross another bridge to the other side and walk up to the grotto below the falls.

This next photos is of Natural Falls earlier that year in the spring after a record amount of rain up in that area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom