have to travel to Illinois......advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
so my wife wants to go see her sister in Illinois for a couple days and i hate the idea of my family on the road without protection. this trip is gonna happen so please don't chime in with the "don't go" comments. from what i have read and understand, before we cross into Illinois the firearm must be unloaded and stored out of reach (i know that is unprotected, but we will only be on the road in Illinois a small percentage of the whole trip) i was confused about a couple places where i saw that it must be stored in the trunk if the vehicle has one and then on anther site i read that it just had to be unloaded and in a proper firearm carrier. anyway does anyone have experience, knowledge or advice for me? thanks

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a...."friend" who was placed in a similar situation. He had to take his family to Illinios just outside of St. Louis to visit a friend of his wife. I'm pretty sure, although not conifident enough to say 100%, that he simply carried concealed the whole time and avoided any wrong doing to attract any unwarranted attention from LEO's. St. Louis was a scary place, from what I heard, and that the two local towns that the friend lived near were pretty eat up too. In fact, an old lady had been beaten to death for her bingo winnings about a month before my "friend" had to go. I guess the friend figured that he would rather take the chance to protect his family and maintain positive control of his handgun than to leave it in the trunk or not have it when needed.

I can't condone what my "friend" did, but it happened. Trunk unloaded would seem to be the safest bet, in a gun case preferably.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a...."friend" who was placed in a similar situation. He had to take his family to Illinios just outside of St. Louis to visit a friend of his wife. I'm pretty sure, although not conifident enough to say 100%, that he simply carried concealed the whole time and avoided any wrong doing to attract any unwarranted attention from LEO's. St. Louis was a scary place, from what I heard, and that the two local towns that the friend lived near were pretty eat up too. In fact, an old lady had been beaten to death for her bingo winnings about a month before my "friend" had to go. I guess the friend figured that he would rather take the chance to protect his family and maintain positive control of his handgun than to leave it in the trunk or not have it when needed.

I can't condone what my "friend" did, but it happened. Trunk unloaded would seem to be the safest bet, in a gun case preferably.

What a thoughtful friend you had to tell you this story.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And was committing a Felony the whole time. Concealed carry in IL is a FELONY.

I don't think his "friend" cared.

We go to ILL ANNOY a couple of times a year. I have a sister there, as well. I stop on the west side of St Louis, render useless, and get back on the road. Their Supremes ruled not long ago that the console of a car is a valid "container" but I wouldn't risk it. I put mine in a padlocked Plano box in the rear passenger compartment of the SUV then Ziploc the ammo and put it in the glove box. Also, don't let anyone give you a rash about not having a FOID card and blahbedy blah blah. Their Supremes also ruled that a valid CCL from a free state IS your FOID card. Mind the local ordinances because handgun possession is a crime in some municipalities.

C

Clepto

I had to work in Il this year and took a TSA aproved side lock case. Only took one gun. And locked it in there with the ammo. The same as I would have if I were flying. From what I understand the law reads that they can be togeather in the same compartment. Just not loaded. You can also carry in STL.
Good luck with your trip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom