have to travel to Illinois......advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think his "friend" cared.

We go to ILL ANNOY a couple of times a year. I have a sister there, as well. I stop on the west side of St Louis, render useless, and get back on the road. Their Supremes ruled not long ago that the console of a car is a valid "container" but I wouldn't risk it. I put mine in a padlocked Plano box in the rear passenger compartment of the SUV then Ziploc the ammo and put it in the glove box. Also, don't let anyone give you a rash about not having a FOID card and blahbedy blah blah. Their Supremes also ruled that a valid CCL from a free state IS your FOID card. Mind the local ordinances because handgun possession is a crime in some municipalities.
Can you cite the cases? I'd love to go read them.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obey the law. Put it in your trunk. I know that's boring, but you're more likely to get busted with a firearm than you are of being confronted by thugs.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obey the law. Put it in your trunk. I know that's boring, but you're more likely to get busted with a firearm than you are of being confronted by thugs.

Not according to the news lately. They said that Chicago is ERUPTING with violence right now. They murder rate is at it's highest ever! I wouldn't with out a gun, sorry!!!

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, I went all over small towns and out in the country areas in eastern Puerto Rico (read "murder capitol of the U.S.") with nothing more than a pocket knife, and wads of cash. Somehow, I survived.

Tell me, how did you ever make it before you had a CCW? Man card REVOKED!!!

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a...."friend" who was placed in a similar situation. He had to take his family to Illinios just outside of St. Louis to visit a friend of his wife. I'm pretty sure, although not conifident enough to say 100%, that he simply carried concealed the whole time and avoided any wrong doing to attract any unwarranted attention from LEO's. St. Louis was a scary place, from what I heard, and that the two local towns that the friend lived near were pretty eat up too. In fact, an old lady had been beaten to death for her bingo winnings about a month before my "friend" had to go. I guess the friend figured that he would rather take the chance to protect his family and maintain positive control of his handgun than to leave it in the trunk or not have it when needed.

I can't condone what my "friend" did, but it happened. Trunk unloaded would seem to be the safest bet, in a gun case preferably.
St. Louis is not scary. East St. Louis on the Illinois side is scary.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got back from Chicago and the gang on gang violence is terrible and of course they killed a 7 year old girl instead 14 peopple were shot on july 3, 4th alone, but unless you want a felony for carrying a loaded gun then don't take it. You have to have qa FOIL card to transport firearms in the state and the don't issue to non residents.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/16/chicago-homicide-rate-wor_n_1602692.html
Chicago Homicide Rate Worse Than Kabul, Up To 200 Police Assigned To High-Profile Wedding
As Chicago residents face a murder rate that, thus far this year, is worse than U.S. troops in Afghanistan, the Chicago Police Department has assigned at least 100 officers to secure the wedding of White House advisor Valerie Jarrett's daughter.

President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama and their daughters Malia and Sasha arrived in Chicago Friday evening ahead of the Saturday wedding of Laura Jarrett, which will be held in a backyard in the city's Kenwood neighborhood. And that wedding is, expectedly, set to be a high-security affair.

The Chicago Sun-Times' Michael Sneed reports that between 100 and 200 Chicago police officers will be on site to help "secure the perimeter" of the wedding.

Sneed further reports that the city will not be reimbursed for the police security by the federal government.

The directive for police to cover the Jarrett wedding arrives at a time where Chicago is facing a surge in its homicide rate. The Daily pointed out in a Friday column that more Chicago residents -- 228 -- have been killed so far this year in the city than the number of U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan - 144 -- over the same period.

The war zone-like statistics are not new. As WBEZ reports, while some 2,000 U.S. troops have been killed in Afghanistan since 2001, more than 5,000 people have been killed by gun fire in Chicago during that time, based on Department of Defense and FBI data.

Chicago's murder rate is also currently quadruple that of New York and double Los Angeles' rate. Gun violence Friday evening into Saturday took the lives of at least one person -- Antonio Buck, of the 5400 block of South Aberdeen -- and wounded at least seven others, including a 16-year-old boy shot in the lower back around 11 p.m. Friday.

Latest posts

Top Bottom