Hawk with gun shot wound...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay I have a hawk with what looks to be a gunshot wound. He has been at my house since mid day Wed. That is when we saw him, no telling how long he has been here hiding.

I have called the game warden (Larry Green) and he gave me a number to call for a person to help. All I got was voice mail. I asked on Facebook got a few more places to call and left messages. No call back from anyone yet.

This hawk has what looks to be a serious wound to the lower part of his body exiting up high on the side and doing damage to the wing. The wing does not seem to be broken. I have fed it a mouse, I also have a small dish with water in the cage and other than just looking scared half to death and more than likely worn out big time it has yet to try biting. Even when it was picked up and put in a cage to keep dogs and cats away from it.

I moved it into the back of my truck for the night, this way if it rains it will stay dry and keep the wind off. The truck has a topper that does not leak.

Does anyone on here deal with or know anyone who may be able to help this hawk? It is a shame it was shot to start, but it seems to be doing its best.

I am in Burbank and will have no way to leave my house tomorrow, my drivers will both be gone.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Oh I already know it is illegal to keep a hawk, no need to tell me. :) Just hoping for a bit of help. These are the fellas who are my best buddies keeping the rats in the bean field under control.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The game warden in a county in northern Oklahoma told a group of us that birds of prey are euthanized as they won't make it in the wild after rehab. They won't fly, which is the way they hunt. It was a group of about 20 of us and he was invited to come talk about his job and host a question and answer session.
(I won't say his name or county)

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call Martin Nature Center (405) 755-0676 or the zoo. Either should be able to tell you what to do or who to call.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hawk has died. During the night as I was keeping an eye on him I went to put e heater in the truck to keep the temp up. The few minutes I was in the house getting the heater he died. He at least went out with a full belly.

The funeral will be around 11 when my daughter gets home.

I called 5 people/places and left messages looking for help. Of the 5 places that I left messages none called back. The Wildcare Foundation gave me some numbers and I will be calling them back today to let them know 2 of the people they sent me to have retired and those numbers are no longer valid. Both of those people had a number to call so it was not just a dead end.

I am not a big phone person, but yesterday I bet I made 25 calls looking for help, I am going to guess the fella would not have made it no matter what. I am afraid the bullet that went from the bottom upwards may have hit some vitals passing through.

Latest posts

Top Bottom