Hello Its Me Again With Another Ar-15 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a rear Mbus sight that i run with my eotech, standard A2 front sight though. Really happy with it still need to dial it in last time i went out it was windy as hell and the target was blowing back and forth every which way so it wasn't ideal for what i was trying to accomplish.

Reaction score
IMO, you should spend very little on BUIS, if on a budget, since it is by definition, your backup sight and not your primary sighting device, and since even the el-cheapo ones seem to work just fine.

The ONLY consideration I've found is in comparing how LOW they go when folded. Some still use up a lot of space. Whether this matters or not (whether they fold low ENOUGH) depends on the height of your primary optic and to some extent the type of optic.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't go cheap on BUIS - especially if you plan on using them for actual shooting (I've got two carbines now with no optics on them as I've started really using my irons).

I've got a set of Troy's, a Troy rear on a carbine with a standard pinned Front Sight Block, and a set of Magpul MBUS sights on the other.

Things I like about the MBUS are:

- Ultra light weight
- Fairly low-profile
- Spring-actuated flip-up
- Made by Magpul, so they're pretty tough
- Rear sight is easily adjustable with a big fat knob instead of the dial.

Here's what I don't like about them:
- Made of plastic and I've gotten my front one pretty hot before (on a DD Lite rail).
- Spring actuators on the rear sight aren't in the best place necessarily (if your sights are down, you can accidentally hit the spring-actuator by pulling back on the charging handle if you're moving/shooting and not really paying attention to staying off the irons.
- Front sight isn't adjustable with a standard A2/A3 Front-sight tool (this pisses me off royally - its friggin Magpul for God's sake - why not make it standard)
- Front sight post sticks up above the protective plastic ears (well above what a standard F-marked FSB would)

All in all, I'm not looking to sell mine right now - they do the job and are very usable as iron sights, so they're keepers (and the price is hard to argue with).

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't go cheap on BUIS - especially if you plan on using them for actual shooting (I've got two carbines now with no optics on them as I've started really using my irons).

I've got a set of Troy's, a Troy rear on a carbine with a standard pinned Front Sight Block, and a set of Magpul MBUS sights on the other.

Things I like about the MBUS are:

- Ultra light weight
- Fairly low-profile
- Spring-actuated flip-up
- Made by Magpul, so they're pretty tough
- Rear sight is easily adjustable with a big fat knob instead of the dial.

Here's what I don't like about them:
- Made of plastic and I've gotten my front one pretty hot before (on a DD Lite rail).
- Spring actuators on the rear sight aren't in the best place necessarily (if your sights are down, you can accidentally hit the spring-actuator by pulling back on the charging handle if you're moving/shooting and not really paying attention to staying off the irons.
- Front sight isn't adjustable with a standard A2/A3 Front-sight tool (this pisses me off royally - its friggin Magpul for God's sake - why not make it standard)
- Front sight post sticks up above the protective plastic ears (well above what a standard F-marked FSB would)

All in all, I'm not looking to sell mine right now - they do the job and are very usable as iron sights, so they're keepers (and the price is hard to argue with).

Yea, what I've read the pros out weigh the cons.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright I just changed out the gas block and put on a moe rail to hold the magpul mbus front and back sight. I like it. Guess I'll have to wait for next friday to try it out.

ar-15 001a.jpg

ar-15 002a.jpg

ar-15 003a.jpg

ar-15 004a.jpg

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a really cool set of flip up Troy Industries BUIS with the LaRue logos on them. They worked fine but wasn't a big fan of the tiny bit of wobble you see with a flip up sight. I thingk fixed is better even though its not as Tactical Timmy as the flip ups.

Latest posts

Top Bottom