Help deciding on another gun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shorts & shirt tucked, one of these in a SmartCarry rig is about the best way to go, roughly in order (or maybe pocket carry with a pocket holster or 'bummper'):

Kahr PM9
Rohrbaugh R9
Taurus 709 SLIM
Kel Tec PF9
Walther PPS (larger)
(hopefully the MSAR Archangel and Boberg XR9 will someday be added to the list of options)

Something like that. Maybe even a heavier 9mm (Kahr MK9), or a smaller/lighter .380 (one of the little .380s from Kahr, Sig, etc. - the Ruger, KelTec, Taurus, & a couple others are definitely lower on the quality scale than the Kahr or Sig). As for the LCR, little .38 spl revos like that are light and not a bad choice, but the reality is they are thicker and therefore not as good IMO for SmartCarry or pocket carry, as a thinner autoloader. As for the LCR in .357 mag - they must be jokin us - you can shoot it first. If it's still intact, then..... well then I'll let you have a second try at a hand grenade. :P

The Sig 238 can be looked at one of two ways, and I'm not sure which way makes more sense. You can look at it as the best of all worlds: The 'feel' (or just almost) of a full-sized gun like a 1911, with nice shootability ergos, but extremely small size and light weight, in a 'reasonable' defense chambering. OR, you can look at it as the worst of all worlds. It's not as small and light as the other .380s, like the Kahr, Taurus, Ruger, and KelTec, and not *much* smaller than something like the Rohrbaugh in 9mm, and yet it has the drawback of a chambering much more expensive than 9mm, yet more anemic than 9mm to boot. I kinda like it though - it's certainly high quality. It's the re-badged Colt Mustang.

As for myself, if this helps any, my summer carry now and this summer is the Kahr P380 in SmartCarry. I hope to upgrade to a Kahr PM9 if the Boberg does not become reality in the next year or so. I might try a cheap gun like a KT PF9 or Taurus 709 to 'tide me over' to the Boberg.

Winter/fall/spring: When I have a covering garment, it's the CZ 85 B, or sometimes the C-bob (a bobbed commander-sized 1911 in .45 acp).

Reaction score
I went by H&H and shot the Glock 23 and 36 yesterday. Enjoyed the 23 the best. Just wonder what holster everyone uses when they carry iwb and if it is tuckable as well.

IWB sucks with a 2-stack. It *really* sucks with a 2-stack in a tuckable IWB version holster. Just my opinion. And both are exacerbated even more by a fat/blocky-slide gun like a Glock. Way too uncomfortable for me. It HURTS to drive with these carried anywhere from 3:30 to 5:00.

In addition, not printing is a REAL chore in summer clothes with a tuckable. If you're going tuckable, or any IWB for that matter, but especially tuckable, then I'd highly recommend one of these single-stacks:

1. HK P7
2. 3" 1911 like the Kimber RCP I think they called it - a snag free, miminalist-stlye 1911
3. One of the same little slim 9mms or .380s that you would also find good for pocket or SmartCarry, all mentioned above.
4. Something else both small and slim - but SLIM is the more important of those 2 considerations. Much as I hate Glocks, the 36 wouldn't be a *horrible* choice for a tuckable.

Holster choice is critical too, as you probably know, for obtaining comfort, fast draw, etc.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keltec p32 is the smallest I carry in the front pocket when you absolutely don't want anyone to know you have a gun on you. I would hate to think I would have to defend myself or loved ones with a .32acp gun but it beats not having anything, if nothing more for sound effect. I am the same size as you and I normally carry a glock 26 IWB when I'm not at work. Can't carry at work for fear of loosing job. To me a single stack 9mm would probably be the most concealable like the Kahr. I just cant dig there triggers after shooting glocks so much. No if Glock would have made a single stack 9mm 26, like they did for the G26 i don't think Glock would be able to keep them in stock. I honestly wish the temperature around here was always around 40-50 degrees, coat weather then i would always be carry the Les Baer 5" 1911 or the Glock 21sf.

What I think would be great is if we could talk Jerry Biggs into hosting a shoot out at USSA and the only pistols allowed would be the keltec 32, 380, ruger lcp, kahr, sig, anything that is 32acp or 380 caliber (Pocket Pistols) and have this an show us the low down on them. I you don't know Jerry Biggs (GlocktoGO) he has shot a lot of competitions and I am pretty sure he told me he shot one with only his keltec 32. If people would be interested in this and Jerry had some free time to go over some things with those that attented, say maimum class size of 20. Say charge $10 per person for Jerry's time and experience in return for 2 hours instruction and shooting in defensive situations. Jerry makes $200 and we all get invaluable experience on how to handle our pocket guns. What say you Jerry?

Well I just got to this thread because I've been busy shooting and working the ProAm at USSA. Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in a BUG (backup gun) class or shoot, but I'm game if some people want to do one (a fee for my time is not necessary).

I've carried a S&W 442, G-26, P-32, PM9, P-230, 3913, G-19/23, etc., in ankle rigs, pocket holsters and IWB. My current carry guns are the 3913, PM9 and P-32. In cooler weather I'll switch back to a mid-size Glock. The P-32 is carried as a second gun, or primary if I have to stop somewhere between work & home (carry at my work is against federal law).

Andy is correct, I have run the P-32 at a regular IDPA match. IIRC, I came in 18th out of 40 shooters and tied for lowest points dropped (if you're gonna shoot someone with a .32, you'd better do it well). The little guns can be shot accurately if you work at it. I don't think a lot of people shoot their small carry guns enough, mainly because the don't shoot them as well. They prefer the gratification they get with the accuracy of their bigger pistols. That is definitely a mistake. Sure, you may consider the little gun a belly buster, but what if you find yourself in a situation where you NEED to shoot someone and they're just beyond the range you feel comfortable shooting to? You'll wish you'd practiced a little more with the gun in your pocket. :(

kriket1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of these suggestions would be a grate choice I would lean more towards the sig p238 because of it's 1911 controls and it's single action trigger because like the very generous glocktogo stated most people don't shoot those little pocket guns as often and that short lightweight Trigger will help get hits on target wen u have that short sight radius working against u no matter what u pic make shore u practice the fundamentals and u should be just fine good luck

kriket1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of these suggestions would be a grate choice I would lean more towards the sig p238 because of it's 1911 controls and it's single action trigger because like the very generous glocktogo stated most people don't shoot those little pocket guns as often and that short lightweight Trigger will help get hits on target wen u have that short sight radius working against u no matter what u pic make shore u practice the fundamentals and u should be just fine good luck. By the way I carry a kimber crimson ultra carry two

Schuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, I just finally made my decision on a pistol and went with a M&P 40c. I really like the way that it felt in my hand and even though it is about he same size as a Glock it just seemed a better fit to me. Thanks again for all the input.

Schuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I also got a fullsize M&P 40 that I am going to use for competition. I am meeting with Olyeller tomorrow to get it comp ready. Tried to just stick with one caliber for now to make reloading easier. Next purchase is going to be a reloader.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have never carried my G19 in a tuckable holster, but I carry it IWB at about 3:30 regularly. In my car (BMW with sport seats), in my desk chair, standing. Not as comfortable as my PF-9, but then, carrying a gun isn't about being comfortable, it's about saving your life if you need to.

And yes, I have, and do, carry my G19 IWB with shorts and a t-shirt quite often. I just can't wear a close fitting shirt; has to be loose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom