Help me BUILD MY AR...lol I need your ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I finally broke down... Time to build an AR (M4gery). I know firearms, but am just a Novice when it comes to the AR platform. I, however, do know what I want from this rifle...

SHTF Scenario:

- 16" barrel
- MUST BE RELIABLE AS ALL HELL
- Accuracy is a must obviously , :p
- I would like a red dot-'esque', or other quick acquisition scope with a magnifier for increased range but still quick target acquisition, lower 1/3 co-witnessed to fixed front iron sight. ( I want a rear iron sight, I would like it fixed as well but am slightly confused on how to go about this)
- Warranty would be nice , but not neccessary if reliability is already top notch (be hard to get the usefulness of a warranty if the dollar collapses)
- Must have M4 feed ramps and extension
- Mid length system ( they have the least problems for this barrel length I assume?)
- Obviously all Mil-spec, Chrome lined, all the standard+ goodies

... I think that is it for now

I already have a Spikes stripped Lower & DTI LPK kit in hand...

I have been looking at gas piston uppers as compared to DI .. I am leaning towards the gas piston.. Saw some Adams Arms uppers at Cold Hands Arms ( love that place now) and was curious about them. Any input from this brand?

Also looked at Stag Arms, DTI, LMT, etc...

Biggest issue is I want the ability to use my 'red dot' type scope , use it to around 2-300 yards. and if that scope ever goes down, I would like to be able to instantly switch to my fixed sights without worrying about taking off the other optics. I would also like these optics mounted in a low enough horizontal plane as to not screw or create a large exaggeration with my ballistics from scope to rifle. Am I missing anything? LOL

I should have around ~$400 to play with on the 25th of this month.... and around ~$860 to play with on the 8th of next month.

I am open and welcome to absolutely all input!

Anyone have anything interesting to suggest?

-Will

Last edited:

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a PWS upper and while it is nice, I'm not sure the piston is neccessary for range guns.
Since I have found and been using better quality, chrome lined or stainless barrels on my NON PISTON UPPERS, I have had zero malfs even with steel case ammo! I have been through about 7 uppers/barrel combinations to find reliable uppers.
I would recommend buying the best barrel with the best reliabilty manufacturer history and company warranty that u can find.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got done installing the lpk in the spike lower.... :X

ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_lower1.jpg

ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_lower2.jpg

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody know how far towards the tip of the muzzle I can seat a fixed front sight? I'm slightly confused on the biggest length rail/hand-guard I can get without screwing up the fact I want to co-witness with whatever red dot scope I get.

The only reason I want a fixed front sight is because its extremely hard to knock out of zero, are there any flip up front sights that are just as sturdy as fixed? That might make things easier on me! lol

-Will

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anybody know how far towards the tip of the muzzle I can seat a fixed front sight? I'm slightly confused on the biggest length rail/hand-guard I can get without screwing up the fact I want to co-witness with whatever red dot scope I get.

The only reason I want a fixed front sight is because its extremely hard to knock out of zero, are there any flip up front sights that are just as sturdy as fixed? That might make things easier on me! lol

-Will

I hear great things about the Troy battlesights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom