Help me BUILD MY AR...lol I need your ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Get a middy, for max reliability.

As for "dot-esque" sights, the Leupold Prismatic 1x14 and the Trijicon RMR (no-battery FO version) are just about the pigs' feces in 1x optics as far as I am concerned. No battery reliance. Meprolight and I think Zeiss also have no-reliance ESDs. Either that or a 1-4 with a true 1x, like the Trijicon 1-4x24, 30mm tube. But it has rather poor eye relief. Aimpoints & Eotechs are great, but ya gotta turn them on or leave them on, and mess with batteries.

The Leupold Prismatic 1x14 does NOT have the unlimited eye relief of a true ESD (dot sight) - that's the tradeoff - but it DOES have pretty generous eye relief range.

Beyond that, sounds like you know what you want, and good choices.

You'll have to figure out handguards, grips, buttstock and such, of course.... when in doubt, "think lightweight".

I think that flip-up irons (a BUIS) are plenty sturdy *enough*, even if not quite *as* sturdy as fixed. You're not gonna knock them out of calibration, at least as far as would make a practical difference at any actual "fighting distance".

and I just noticed does alexander arms even make a gas piston upper in 556

Everyone and their grandma's dog are now making these abominations - these 'quasi-ARs'. They're NOT ARs, which by definition, use direct impingement systems. But I suppose they ARE a bit more reliable if you must (for some reason) go a couple thousand rounds without cleaning.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with piston setup, as in I've never used one, but if your talking collapse of government stuff wouldn't a regular gas system be more reliable and common if something broke? Mid-length system is typically 9" to the gas block, however if your not going to run a standard fsb then you cache run a low pro gas block and go as long as you want. JMHO

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Carbine gas system is 7" to gas block
Midlength gas system is 9" to gas block
Rifle gas system is 12" to gas block

I'd recommend a 16" middy also. I like mine. If I was doing it over again, I'd get this upper:
BCM 16" Mid Lightweight BFH

Not as cheap as some, but better quality. Just add BCG (bolt carrier group) and charging handle, and you have a complete upper. That upper does NOT include handguards, but if you got it, I'm sure someone around here (me) would have a set of standard handguards they replaced they could give up cheap. At least until you could afford to replace them with a railed guard.

And here's the rail I would build it with:
Troy TRX Extreme 11"

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not just go with a complete spike setup. I have the M4LE upper on my rifle and it is just an awesome setup. The ST battle trigger makes ahuge difference in the feel of the rifle as well. I have abused the hell out of the rifle (dropped it on concrete out of my patrol car during a rifle course 4 times, shot all forms of nasty ammo, drug through dirt and mud, shot till the barrel started a small grass fire) and it has never failed me due to the operating system ( I have had ammo and mag failures but never bolt or firing pin). I think its a great system for the money, but you cant go wrong with BCM.

Actually I am going to build a an 18 incher from BCM and more than likely a SBR from its uppers

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have FINALLY decided on the set up to build, I said screw it and am just deciding to cough up the cash..

Vltor Upper
BCM bolt carrier group
BCM 16" CHF barrel
Ill prob just go with whatever quad rail I find for the best deal when I order it.

In the mean time I just bought a lil 16" DTI upper from Steve @ cold arms for $299 to keep me occupied, eventually I will buy a plum crazy lower and make a 2nd 'beater' back up SHTF rifle. Just need the bcg.

Also picked up a Magpul moe stock and PMAG ... Pics to come later...

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not just go with a complete spike setup. I have the M4LE upper on my rifle and it is just an awesome setup. The ST battle trigger makes ahuge difference in the feel of the rifle as well. I have abused the hell out of the rifle (dropped it on concrete out of my patrol car during a rifle course 4 times, shot all forms of nasty ammo, drug through dirt and mud, shot till the barrel started a small grass fire) and it has never failed me due to the operating system ( I have had ammo and mag failures but never bolt or firing pin). I think its a great system for the money, but you cant go wrong with BCM.

Actually I am going to build a an 18 incher from BCM and more than likely a SBR from its uppers

You run your rifles hard! My friend is looking at a Spike upper.. So you would recommend it I see?

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here is the DTI upper on the spike lower.. Dont mind my guitar boxers..

ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_dtibuild1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom