Help me with sons setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddy-o

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 10 yr old son wanted a bow for Christmas. Problem is I have no idea about archery. Never got into it. Anyway I bought him a Mission bow by Mathews. Its a Crazy 2. Also got him a target. But have no clue of what else he would need to get started (besides arrows, I do know that). Arm guard? One of those trigger release things? Thanks

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd let him open it for Christmas then you and him take it to an archery shop (Pat's in Okmulgee, suggested) and they will help you with accessories. Off hand I'd say . . . Arrow rest, Peep sight, Arm guard, Mechanical release, Arrows, Quiver.

Archery shop will square the string and set his Nock point, install peep sight, adjust draw weight and length of draw......also help with his form, how to hold the bow...along with letting him shoot at indoor target range to make sure its all set up for him.

Good luck, enjoy the experience!

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd let him open it for Christmas then you and him take it to an archery shop (Pat's in Okmulgee, suggested) and they will help you with accessories. Off hand I'd say . . . Arrow rest, Peep sight, Arm guard, Mechanical release, Arrows, Quiver.

Archery shop will square the string and set his Nock point, install peep sight, adjust draw weight and length of draw......also help with his form, how to hold the bow...along with letting him shoot at indoor target range to make sure its all set up for him.

Good luck, enjoy the experience!
This for sure. Get setup at an archery shop for the draw weight and length. Don't get the weight too heavy and let those muscles build up. Make sure to get a release that wont chew up the string.Try to put good equipment on the bow it will be well worth the extra money.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://missionarchery.com/product/bow-hunter-package/

This is the package that came with the bow. Don't know if it was worth it or not but thats what I got.
That looks like it will work just fine. I would add a decent release that's easy on the string. If he gets into shooting alot the higher quality arrows will go along way also. Draw length, arrow rest/nock, sight setup with a little how to form info will be the most important start for a beginner.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to your local shop and have them install a peep sight and D-loop and have them tune the bow and get a release. Those are a must.

I own 2 of these bows. 1 for my wife and 1 for my daughter. They are great bows and will grow with your son. You nailed it with the bow selection.

See if someone at the shop can show him how th shoot it. Form and consistency are very important.

Most important of all. Have Fun and Be Safe!

Latest posts

Top Bottom