help pick my first AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ok I am thinking about getting my first and am leaning toward the DPMS sportical or a Doublestar. I can get either for under $650 and was wanting opinions on both or other suggestions. Thanks

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
of those 2 i would probably go with neither..... save a little more money and get one that will be of better quality. i have a bushmaster that has been 100% reliable and crazy accurate for the past 6 years since i bought it new. i've also had really good luck with rock river arms. you'll be happier with a quality piece.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the DPMS sportcals. Prices are coming down on AR stuff right now. If you are going to get DPMS, i'd at least get the model just about the sportcal. I'm not sure how I feel about the doublestar stuff either.

If you're willing to wait a week or two, spike's tactical is having a good sale on complete lowers. Then you can talk to many of the local guys on here for a good deal on an upper (MAS Gunworks, Vital Arms, etc). I just built an AR with a spike's complete lower, and an armalite upper from Vital Arms. Cost me 730 less shipping for an AR with pretty quality parts.

Bottom line is that I'd spend a bit more money and get a decent quality AR. They can be had now for pretty cheap, either in parts or complete.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, If I was going to do it, I would buy a stripped lower from MAS, Vital Arms, or Josh and then buy a kit from RRA or Stag. I think Josh has some Stag lowers for around $125, I think. You can buy a Stag M4 kit complete with Chrome lined barrel and sights for around $680 mail order, and you aren't paying tax. That puts your total price around $800, which is about $250 more, but it will be a far better and more accurate gun in my opinion.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be honest i would just start with a stripped lower. All forged lowers are really the same the only differance is the finishing machine work done by the company that slaps their name on it. DPMS lower parts kit will run you 65$ and a stock set will run you anywhere between $90 for a vanilla to $140 for a Magpul CTR. Now for upper; Upper Receiver w/forward assist and door $115, Barrel $170 for that Daniel Defence Econo barrel its chrome lined and 1:7 Twist. Bolt and Bolt Carrier Group $130, and charging handle $20. Viking Tactics Carbine Free Floating handguard $175, Flash Hiders are Cheap. Gas block and tube $40

Lower - $120
LPD - $65
Stock Set - $100
Lower Total: $285

Upper - $115
BCG - $130
Barrel - $170
C-Handle - $20
Handguard $175
Gas System - $40
Flashhider - $20
Upper Total: $670

Total Build $955.00 this would give you a nice looking and shooting setup with some extras or with a normal handguard and not the Viking Tac you could do it for $830.00 give or take, and if you hit AR15.com up for good used parts you could do even better. Only thing i have to say if your going to put money into any part put it into your barrel!

MAS GunWorks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on what you want to do with it.

I would recommend a different upper receiver then the sportical.

You can buy a kit and build your own, build a lower and buyer a complete upper. Options are just about endless. If you are building one you can add the parts you want and not have to replace the factory parts you don't want later.

If you need any help give us a call.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stag uppers with Chrome-lined barrels can be had for $525 on Bravo Company - that's a complete upper and all you need is a lower and stock. I'd go that route (probably get a different lower since that damn Stag has a deer on it - unless you plan on painting it green/yellow).

You can find a good used complete lower with stock for well less than the $250 lowers we've been seeing in the classifieds lately.

That's only $100 or so more than you're looking to pay, but you get out of tax and get a chrome-lined decent quality upper that's correctly chambered in 5.56 and is known for good entry-level accuracy.

I'd avoid Double-Star with extreme prejudice - they aren't known for "mil-spec" anything even though that phrase is plastered all over everything they make. The difference will come if you want to upgrade anything in the future - they've got all kinds of complaints about out-of-spec parts that aren't compatible with a lot of the industry standard stuff.

DPMS doesn't make a terrible AR for the average shooter - don't get it confused with a higher-quality model, but it will probably work for what you want - like others have said, I'd avoid the Sportical upper though.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Josh has some Stag lowers for around $125, I think.

$115 is the normal cost. However, my last shipment I couldn't move at all until I marked them down to $100??? So deals can be had if you just look around. DPMS and Double Star are both lower quality guns and as everyone else has stated for as little as $150 bucks or so you can step up to a much higher quality weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom