Help taking down an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up my first AR...I know how to do the basic field strip, but I am wanting to learn how to really take it down...strip the lower, remove the barrel, etc...anybody got any good links on some instructions?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't ever remove the barrel unless you absolutely have to. For that you will need a barrel wrench, a torque wrench, barrel blocks, and a big heavy well mounted vise.
There are videos on the web that will show you what you need to know.
Just remember you are dealing mostly with aluminum and you shouldn't be poking the pins in and out of the holes anymore than absolutely necessary.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ar15.com contains a wealth of knowledge - search youtube and you'll get plenty of videos teling you how to remove upper from lower and disassemble BCG.

I wouldn't strip the lower any further than maybe removing the trigger and that would only be if I had an issue with it - I clean mine without stripping the lower and have no problems. Don't remove the barrel if you don't have to.

You should be able to clean it without tearing it down too far - they're designed to be field stripped and maintained, and driving out some of those pins will just cause them to become loose later on.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys...the only reason I want to remove the barrel, is so that I can take it and get it threaded...the muzzle brake that is on it is really stuck on there..and kinda ugly..lol

And I'm asking how to strip the lower because I want to Duracoat it and the new upper receiver i've got comming. but I don't want to spray the trigger and other levers and buttons.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys...the only reason I want to remove the barrel, is so that I can take it and get it threaded...the muzzle brake that is on it is really stuck on there..and kinda ugly..lol

And I'm asking how to strip the lower because I want to Duracoat it and the new upper receiver i've got comming. but I don't want to spray the trigger and other levers and buttons.

Ah - well then, you'll want to hit up AR15.com and look for the assembling a lower instructions and work backwards through them. Be careful to drive out the pins in the opposite direction as they were installed.

Is your barrel 14.5" long? If so, when you go to have the break removed, you'll have an NFA item (Short Barreled Rifle). If the break is pinned/soldered, then its either a "ban" era model or its too short to qualify for a rifle (I would assume there's some reason for it being "stuck").

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I did, was buy a stripped lower and then bought a lower parts kit. I also bought several books on AR-15s and a DVD that explained everything. It took a bit of work but over several hours I got everything together and working. Since I put it together I now know how to take it all apart.

If you're interested in books or DVDs look at the MidwayUSA, Brownell's and Sinclair web sites.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my barrel is 16"...just a hair over actually...I just want to replace that brake with a newer style..I'd have it permanently attched to keep it from being an NFA if I had to.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my barrel is 16"...just a hair over actually...I just want to replace that brake with a newer style..I'd have it permanently attched to keep it from being an NFA if I had to.

16" is not a SBR, you don't even have to have anything on it. But yes, play around with the brake, flash suppressor, whatever, have fun!!

Fister

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So long as the barrel length with the flash hider is not just over 16" your fine. If it measures that with the flash hider attached then you have most likely a 14.5+" barrel with a perm attachment that will be difficult to get off. Not impossable but will be a real pain in the ass. Well should be anyway. They were not ment to come off.

I am in OKC and have tools and such. If you have a good mounted vice I dont mind comming over to lend you a hand.

One thing you may want to consider is just selling it off and picking up a new one too. Sometimes depending on the work needing to be done it can save you a little $$ not to mention time.

I can also give you a good run down on the AR platform if you would like. I could just meet you at H&H or OKC gun club or ? It would have to be on the weekend though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom