Help with a Winchester Model 94 30-30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My dad has an older Winchester Model 94 chambered in 30-30 with a 16” barrel and a saddle ring. I think it’s what they call a Saddle Ring Carbine but then I also found they made something called a Trapper Model.. I ran the serial years ago and found out it was manufactured in the year 1907.

I need help identifying it correctly so I can get a few parts for it. Bullets don’t feed right and I determined that once upon a time someone put a different magazine tube spring and follower in it.. My Google-fu isn’t very good today and I’m having a hard time even finding the parts since I can’t find anything for this model that has this short of a barrel. If anyone can lead me in the right direction or even has the parts laying around it would be much appreciated. Heck maybe possibly a gunsmith that will work on something like this just in case the parts aren’t the only thing wrong.

As always, thanks OSA.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wish I could offer some help, but I don’t have a clue. It sounds like a very cool gun. I’d like to see some pics if you get a chance. Might reach out to member SPDguns. Looks like he’s a gunsmith in Stillwater. It’s a drive for you but what isn’t from out there.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad has an older Winchester Model 94 chambered in 30-30 with a 16” barrel and a saddle ring. I think it’s what they call a Saddle Ring Carbine but then I also found they made something called a Trapper Model.. I ran the serial years ago and found out it was manufactured in the year 1907.

I need help identifying it correctly so I can get a few parts for it. Bullets don’t feed right and I determined that once upon a time someone put a different magazine tube spring and follower in it.. My Google-fu isn’t very good today and I’m having a hard time even finding the parts since I can’t find anything for this model that has this short of a barrel. If anyone can lead me in the right direction or even has the parts laying around it would be much appreciated. Heck maybe possibly a gunsmith that will work on something like this just in case the parts aren’t the only thing wrong.

As always,
Model 94 trapper had a 16 in barrel and saddle ring was also classified as a carbine. IIRC. Granddad had 2 of them in 30-30.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help, but I just want to say I used to have, years ago, a 1953-ish model year Trapper, and foolishly let it go.

I'd love to find another.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know, if this will help, But, I had a Winchester 94 Ranger, Caliber 30-30 with a 16 inch octagon barrel I bought new in the late 1980’s -- want to say 1988 or 1989, It came with a saddle ring, but nowhere on the receiver to mount the saddle ring, I gave it to my cousin, years ago -- If I remember correctly -- I paid $300 for at the Spring Wanemacher's gun show - It had no box when I bought it -- Now everybody my cousin shows the rifle to, tells him its an antique worth a lot more than I paid for it. A whole lot more. I believe there is a lot of confusion over manufacting dates, model numbers and parts configuration .
If I remember correctly, by word of mouth, (prior to the internet) the Winchester 94 had a lot of feeding issues -- I remember the phrase was, that’s why I bought a Marlin !!!!
The owners manual, had Winchester 94 RANGER on the cover -- the word Ranger appeared nowhere on the firearm.
Good luck ob your quest !!!!!!!

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my first deer with a 94 that had a 16 inch barrel, of course it was a lot newer than yours.

1907, That should have the model number on the tang.
The guns made prior to 1936 are even more desirable than just a pre 64 gun.

First, double check that barrel length.
Those laws defining minimum barrel length were passed in the 1930's, and Winchester did make some stuff with barrels under 16 inches before that.
16 inches from the face of the closed breach to the muzzle is minimum to be legal without a tax stamp or some other exemption.
Just put a cleaning rod down the barrel with the breach closed and the hammer cocked (you don't want to measure firing pin stick out). Mark the rod with something that leaves a fine mark, and then measure the rod to the mark.

If its under 16 inches don't freak out, and don't brag about it.
Find someone knowledgeable about class 3 guns and old Winchesters.
Some are exempt because of age and others require a tax stamp.
You may have a desirable piece if you can get the right paperwork in place.
If you don't handle it correctly its potentially prison time.
Until your sure its legal, (16 or more, or has some other exemption), not much point in putting any effort into it.

Once you past that hurdle, and chances are you will be with a careful measurement, its time to think about parts.

One that early is a little different than the ones made today. Many parts made after 1964 are just not right for your gun.
The average smith will just put in what is available to get the gun running and not sweat the fine detail.
If its in decent shape (good wood, most of the original bluing), and not just your average beat up old brown gun (which are still cool), you need to do a little homework and find someone who knows old Winchesters. A good one is worth putting some extra effort into. Collectors want everything to be correct for the serial number range of the gun, and the overall condition of the gun. A lot of parts have subtle variations depending on when they were produced, others never changed. Parts will interchange and the gun will function with most of the variations, but if you have a gun with obviously replaced parts and its far less interesting to collectors.

Winchester Lever Actions Vol.III 1894 & 1895 (North Cape Publications) is a reasonably priced reference book for that model and covers all the little differences you may care about. It will also tell you if a part was used on other models, many screws and other small parts were used on many different models.

If you just want to fix a gun the big on line dealers are a good bet. If your trying to find the exact part, your on a treasure hunt. You may kick up the right stuff a a big gun show, like the BIG Tulsa show, but be ready to spend some time looking and to shell out a few extra bucks to get exactly what you want and the chance to pick it out yourself.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SEE post above. Pre - 1934 trappers were common to have 14" barrels .
close action, drop cleaning rod down barrel, put tape or magic marker where it sticks out, measure the rod.
He may or may not have registered it in '68. A lot of people did, but don't have papers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom