Hey old farts!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I think back to all the things me and the boys did in the day I swear we should have died a thousand deaths. I recently (much too late, really) set up a trust, will, and a TON of documentation on what to do in various situations (my Fonzie bump for the heater when it goes on the fritz, how to handle the banking and bill pay, what antiques and guns are worth and what not to throw away, etc.). This info is on a website that my son set up on my computer that isn't accessible to the outside world. And he put a trigger on it I have to reset.

So every couple of days I visit a website that says, "Hi dad!" and it resets a counter. Once that counter reaches 2 weeks (showing that I'm dead) it'll send out an email to my kids, wife, and lawyer that includes all my passwords for websites, investments, banking, etc. so they can get in and handle things.

It's probably one of the best and most introspective things I've ever done, typing up that list for them. I put in private notes to each kid and my wife, tells them what I love about them, things I would change, regret, and so on. You can pour your heart out in text in a way you can't in real life.

Anyway, when I kick off they'll all get notified of my data and their inheritances, along with some important instructions to help them run the house and my investments.

I just wanted to make things as easy on them as possible. Total cost was about $1000 out the door, including the trust and web stuff.
Is there a backup plan in case there is no internet, email, power grid? I guess at that point WTF

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have will/trust but also an NFA trust for my suppressor. Wife and son are co-trustees. I added all my firearms to that trust so all are co owned by son & wife. I’m gone they are theirs.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad was a preacher. We moved a lot. I swore once out on my own I would find a spot and stay there. That’s what I did. Built this house and have been here nearly 40 years now. It’s amazing how much stuff you can accumulate in 40 years. I just figure I’m set now for when SHTF I got all this barter potential.

Wife and I just moved our 17th time. Now we are building our last home. We built homes, bought multiple ones we just rebuilt, some we loved in some we didn’t. Have never been a sentimental guy about anything but the wife, the rest is just materialistic.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FOR SALE!!!!

2019 Kubota 2501 with Loader and Attachments - Buying a couple good mules instead - Dirt Cheap
2022 Badboy Reble Kawa 35hp 72" wide - Was told don't need it for my acreage - So almost giving away.
All my guns and ammo - Free b/c I need to go minimalist and only need a 22LR for my all duties
Stihl 362 and 025 - Phree - because I have a 68 year old bucksaw that works great.
2015 Ram 2500 MegaCab - would do a straight trade for '78 Ford Courier pickup - @swapratt you out there?
2022 Polaris Sportsman 850 - don't need this kinda power when I got a trike bicycle with rear basket.
Everything else is free in my shop. Minimalist, here I come!!!!
I have a 1976 Ford Courier that runs great. The body is rusty and dinged up. It might suit you as far as the trade for Ram 2500. The only thing is I would have to load it up on a trailer and haul back from our place in New Mexico. It hasn't been tagged for years. LOL

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a backup plan in case there is no internet, email, power grid? I guess at that point WTF
There's a backup plan for no internet, but if there's no electricity then like you said, there's no point in having passwords We have paper copies of the wills/trusts of course, and the lawyer has copies.. As soon as the electric comes back on they'd have everything though.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to be thinking about the future.
You could fall over dead tomorrow.
Liquidate all your excess and live a minimalist life style.
It will make it easier when they throw you in the retirement home.
Do you you want your prized xxxx going to your POS son in law?
I think about this everytime I visit my dad at the old folks home.
My brother is the executor of my will. He gets all my guns. Seems only fair, as he's at least facilitated my acquisition of most of them. I'm hoping one of the kids will be interested in having the machine tools. Youngest will probably want most of the books. Isn't much of anything else of value. Told my wife as far as I care, they can put my body in the dumpster along with the rest of the trash. I did not expect to make it to 30. Retired from the USAF at age 42, and realized that I'd somehow made it that long. Now, I'm 67. Could, of course, still die at any minute, but I could live another 30 or 40 years... Yikes!

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shortly after turning 72 I set up a DNR through the VA and got rid of a lot of worthless junk I had accumulated over the years. I have no family except for my estranged adult son, so I don't fret over things like Wills or funerals. Still planning on staying around for a long, long time if for no other reason than to watch people fight over the most ridiculous crap
:pms2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom