hiding my scent - Not sure I am a believer ---- You

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do agree that lots of the scent control stuff is to get our money. I don't use it much but I do pay attention to where the wind is blowing and don't hunt the stands that the wind is wrong for. Seems to me over the years that some of the biggest deer I have killed were on the first time I hunted the stand and the more I hunt one, the fewer encounters I have.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do agree that lots of the scent control stuff is to get our money. I don't use it much but I do pay attention to where the wind is blowing and don't hunt the stands that the wind is wrong for. Seems to me over the years that some of the biggest deer I have killed were on the first time I hunted the stand and the more I hunt one, the fewer encounters I have.

Amen!

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a big doe that pegged me once in a stand and kept coming by looking at me just out of range downwind. I put a sweaty smelly shirt up in the tree and moved the stand just downwind of where she was coming through shot her that night as she walked by looking at the shirt. Sometimes your scent can work for you.

keystone1974

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well i've hunted deer hard for 11 yrs. before I killed a wall hanger (144 in.) last year, the second time I used a sent lock outfit. I always hunt public and used to laugh at price of some of the scentlock stuff, finnaly after watching t.v. so much I decided to invest one time to see if there is something I should be wearing other than scent spray. The first day the wind was steady and I saw some some does upwind eating acorns- the next day oct. 30 2008 i saw big boy and the wind was swirling and he was in a bad spot, the wind was blowing in his direction some of the time, but he went ahead and came out in to a 10ft clearing then i got him. I for sure think the scent lock suit works, unfortunatly its outrageous how much it all cost.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will generally shoot at the younger stuff for quality of meat. I have no problem hunting in old jeans and boots. I get mine every year. Land is adjacent to public hunting and they seem to run them to me.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can urinate circles around your kitchen garden and it won't keep the deer out. When you hunt, the wind is with you or against you. This stuff about scent killers was cooked up by people trying to sell consumer products.
The best hunter this country ever knew used primitive archery equipment and never had a bath in his life.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will generally shoot at the younger stuff for quality of meat. I have no problem hunting in old jeans and boots. I get mine every year. Land is adjacent to public hunting and they seem to run them to me.

Sure,
That begs another question. If a public hunting area is crawling with stinky humans, in which direction does a deer run?
I've only hunted publicly in Colorado. Traffic jams in the wilderness are pretty depressing.
As for the o.p. either you've got faith or you've got disbelief. Sounds like you'er letting the devil get a toe hold.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Taken a lot of deer, and I'm not sure I can tell the difference between a young doe and an old buck. All of mine are taken in the same area which is predominatly agriculture, so maybe that is why.
IMHO is all about gutting them, and getting them cooled off as quickly as possible, then getting the insides washed out before anything can infuse into the meat. With the new on-line check in, that will be even easier than in the past.
I typically try to find the nearest convience store which just may be a check station, and get ice to put in the cavity and around the outside.
The meat processor I use has told me more than once that if every body brought their deer in like I do, he wouldn't have any complaints.
Again, JMHO:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom