hijacked my husbands account to ask a serious question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Solution:

1. Wear gun when awake.

2. Put gun in nightstand when sleeping.

3. Put gun where child cannot access it when you are not home.

Am I missing something? Seems a fairly easy one to figure out without a 3 page thread on the innerwebz. In grandma's day, husbands and wives had to figure this stuff out all by their lonesome by talking to each other IRL and stuff.

This...

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would be very hard pressed to find any child under five that could actuate the slide on a 1911. The only problem with that logic is still going to be that any firearm should be considered loaded for obvious reasons. To further wrinkle the issue, the Youth Handgun Safety Act is some ways covers this exact situation, not just selling to someone under age. You really have no choice but to lock it down where children could gain access to it.

The Gun Vault handgun safe mentioned before is an excellent option and now cost about half of what they did when I got mine. One thing I like about that brand is that it you can tell if someone tried to open it with the wrong code. I have seen them at Academy for under $99. That really is a no brainer.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take the kid out to the woods and blast some living creature.Yes it's a little harsh but they learn real quick that guns kill. A rabbit and squirrel are what I taught my kids with.
Goes like this, "see the cute little bunny <BAM> That's what a gun is made for."
BTW, all of my kids are fine and fully grown and are not mass murderers or have any other degenerate behaviours.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted this a couple of years ago, but it is relevant to topic at hand:

ai51.tinypic.com_14ufkzm.jpg

ai54.tinypic.com_ka2oia.jpg

ai53.tinypic.com_2a9vh5i.jpg

ai53.tinypic.com_2ldmi9.jpg

ai54.tinypic.com_30vno2e.gif

ai53.tinypic.com_ock1x.gif

ai56.tinypic.com_kcnqpz.jpg

ai53.tinypic.com_344qxig.gif

gun001guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to OSA, but not new to guns, law enforcement or kids and I must say that the vast majority of what I am reading on here is the most obsurd and stupid comments I have heard for alleged knowledgeable and responsible gun owners. A 18 month old might not be able to chamber and fire a 1911, but what about a two year old, or three, etc? What about when he "thinks" he unchambered the weapon but was mistaken? Come on guys, lets use our head we can be "ready" and SAFE at the same time. I carry a weapon everyday and the first thing I do when I get home is take it off and put it up in a safe locked box in the top of the closet. I can guarantee you that if someone breaks into my home at night I can have that gun out in a matter of seconds. Our children are our greatest resource and as a parent they should be our greatest asset so to be careless, stupid or whatever in place of thier safety is stupid.

kgoodrich

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would say that Me and my wife had the same problum but we have a gun cabnit. Now the cabnit is about twice the hight of our two year old which is a good thing. I leave both mine and the wife's ak's sitting beside the case with the clips on top of the cabnit in mag holders. If you have a good dresser i would stick them in the top drawer with the clips in another drawer. It worked for us in tell they get a lot taller than a gun box or cabnit would be mandatory!

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my stepdad had a holster for the bed that would go behind the headboard thing.if someone breaks in it would only take a few seconds to reach back there and be ready.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to OSA, but not new to guns, law enforcement or kids and I must say that the vast majority of what I am reading on here is the most obsurd and stupid comments I have heard for alleged knowledgeable and responsible gun owners. A 18 month old might not be able to chamber and fire a 1911, but what about a two year old, or three, etc? What about when he "thinks" he unchambered the weapon but was mistaken? Come on guys, lets use our head we can be "ready" and SAFE at the same time. I carry a weapon everyday and the first thing I do when I get home is take it off and put it up in a safe locked box in the top of the closet. I can guarantee you that if someone breaks into my home at night I can have that gun out in a matter of seconds. Our children are our greatest resource and as a parent they should be our greatest asset so to be careless, stupid or whatever in place of thier safety is stupid.

Thank for your opinion. What if a 2 bad guys kick the door in while you are sitting down for dinner?

Oh, hey, hold on bad guys. Let me go get somthing real quick.

I have a 3 yr old daughter, and a 5 yr old Son. I leave my AR15 out in my office/media room. It's like a piece of furniture. (the rounds are all locked up)

I leave my mossy 500 out too. It dulls curiosity.

And my son knows if he would like to see one, he is to ask.

My son and I have daily schooling about guns. I let him hold all the transfers (that are cool) when they come in. (after I clear them)

We discuss and practice saftey during all waking hours.

My sidearm stays on my side, chambered, until I go to bed. Then I clear the weapon, remag the round, replace the mag in the pistol, and put it under my matress, and go to bed.

My AR goes to bed with me as well, full 30 rnd mag caomes out of the safe, and goes under matress next to pistol. AR just leans against wall right by my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom