Hog Trapping: Round 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked at a hog farm for a while when I was 15. We would get our shipment of gilts and they would be freaking crazy. Very little interaction with humans to that point in their life. They would eventually calm down and act like all the others but it took a while.

I would think one that young could be calmed down with lots of interaction but then again the older "calm" ones we had were still PITA alot of the time.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last few days have been encouraging with the trapping. After killing the sow in the trap Sunday morning, I rebaited and checked it Monday. Pigs had went back in the next night and ate up all the corn. So again, that kinda blew the theory on pigs not coming back after an on site kill. I have been baiting every afternoon and they are hammering the bait every night. As soon as I get off work tonight, I am going to rebait and set the triggers. As hot and dry as it has been, and as little food as there is available, I think I can manage to thin the herd. I'm not sure what the rest of the state is looking like, but I can't hardly find an acorn on the tree down here. Feeders may be pretty rewarding this year.

I am also going to set up a small buffett in another location on the same pasture away from the traps and do some taste testing. I am going to put out plain corn, soured corn, and creep feed in front of a game cam and see if I can tell what they eat first or prefer. I'd like to put creep feed out as my main bait, since it is cheaper, but I need to do some experimentation first to see if it will make a good bait. I have my doubts, but we'll see.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am pretty sure trapping was successful last night, but I didn't get to check the traps this morning before work. I drove by the pasture this morning and saw 10 piglets right out in front of one of the traps, but momma was nowhere to be seen. The trap is in the treeline and from a few hundred yards away so I couldn't make out what was in it. Going to head down as soon as I get out of the office and see what's for dinner! I'd like to be able to run the traps in the morning, but they are still hanging out there after daybreak and I don't want to spook them.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
try soaking your whole corn in diesel for a couple of days then pour off the diesel and wash with water and put it in the trap. turkeys and other pests will not eat it and the hogs just love it. yea i know"diesel?" just try it.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do the diesel fuel trick on another place I trap because I can't keep the deer out of the round trap. It works quite well as far as keeping other critters out. I usually just pour a few cups of diesel fuel over a bucket of corn and stir it around, just enough to wet it down and get the scent all over it, then dump it in the pen. Here I'm using another type of trap that deer don't seem to mess with, and the coons haven't found it.... yet.

You are right on though, that is an odd solution that actually works. Hogs like the diesel fuel smell anyway to keep mites and stuff off them. I've taken old pieces of carpet soaked in diesel fuel and wired them to a tree, or old creosote posts, for them to rub on. They seem to enjoy that.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Checked the traps last night, all went pretty well. First trap had one sow and three of her little piglets, along with two other little piglets standing outside the trap. For some unknown reason I didn't shoot them, even though they just stood there at twenty yards looking at me.

[Broken External Image]

Second trap had five little porkers in there, bout 50 lbs each.

[Broken External Image]
ok, ya'll get together and smile big for the camera, say "BBQ!"

All of the pigs suddenly didn't look like they were feeling very well and came down with a case of lead poisoning and needed a nap.
[Broken External Image]

Traps were rebaited and set, although I don't have big expectations for tonight. It got a little bloody from shootin 5 pigs in a trap, so that may make a little difference in whether they come in or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom