Hog Trapping: Round 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OkieOFT, it is not going to waste... Buzzards and coyotes are eating well. If you are interested I will tell you where they are and you can go cut you off a hunk! Haha. Like the Cheese said, this is for control. We are over run with hogs. I'm a firm believer in eating what you kill, but this doesn't exactly fall in that category, this is just nuisance control.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OkieOFT, it is not going to waste... Buzzards and coyotes are eating well. If you are interested I will tell you where they are and you can go cut you off a hunk! Haha. Like the Cheese said, this is for control. We are over run with hogs. I'm a firm believer in eating what you kill, but this doesn't exactly fall in that category, this is just nuisance control.

Although they are quite tasty, the volume of piggies your getting would make it a full time job to get them field dressed.
I trap in the fall for coon, possum, skunk and the occasional bobcat for that same reason.
People eat coon and possum, and if they want them, they can come to the field and get them.
If not, they provide protein for the buzzards and yotes.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Due to the holidays and being out of town, I didn't get to run traps much over the weekend. Caught these two Sunday morning in one trap. Would have had more in the other trap but I set the trap and accidentily left a piece of wire holding the door open... whoops. Pigs came in and hit the trigger, but the door didn't shut. Rebaited both traps and set. Was out of town yesterday so didn't get to check them, but I am about 99% sure there are pigs in both traps this morning. Going to check as soon as I get out of this dadgum office.

[Broken External Image]

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I had hoped for, both traps had pigs. One just had a little 20 pound pork chop in it. The other had bout a 140 lb sow and two others that were bout 50 lbs. Sow may have been ripe, two other boars were laying beside the trap when I drove past it to haul the pig from the first trap off. They stood up and just looked at me 20 yards away. By the time I came back they had laid back down again. It was pourin rain, so I only had my .22 pistol tucked in my belt, so I didn't give them a courtesy shot. Set traps and rebaited. We'll see what happens tonight. No pics on account of rain...

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I had hoped for, both traps had pigs. One just had a little 20 pound pork chop in it. The other had bout a 140 lb sow and two others that were bout 50 lbs. Sow may have been ripe, two other boars were laying beside the trap when I drove past it to haul the pig from the first trap off. They stood up and just looked at me 20 yards away. By the time I came back they had laid back down again. It was pourin rain, so I only had my .22 pistol tucked in my belt, so I didn't give them a courtesy shot. Set traps and rebaited. We'll see what happens tonight. No pics on account of rain...

Shoulda shot the ripe sow and left her in there to see if the boars came back for easy pickens. LOL

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't get anything in the trap yesterday, as I kinda suspected. One trap was tripped, but there were no tracks in there in the mud, so not sure what happened. If I kill multiple pigs in the trap and there is a considerable amount of blood in there, they seem to come in, and will even come in the door of the trap, but they are just a bit leary and don't fully commit. The next night they usually come right in and hit the trigger. If they follow the usual pattern, there will be pigs in there today.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a few friends come in Wednesday night. Been running the traps with the doors wired open for a few days just to get them coming back in regularly. Coons have been frequenting one of the traps, so I am going to have to switch to diesel corn to keep them out. Got these 4 in the other trap. They are now resting peacefully.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom