Home HOA issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since they aren’t doing what they are supposed to is there a way to get out of it?

Sue them, force the home owners to vote in a new board, or move. This is kind of a curt answer, but that's the basic gist of it.

Edit: I think the homeowners can vote to dissolve the HOA, but that's a long shot.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do they have regular, stated meetings where things like easement and installation of utilities can be discussed, and things voted on/approved (if needed; as stated utilities may be allowed by easement outside the HOA). They should, and this is where things need to be discussed so it's got an audience and also a record (since the meetings and voting should have minutes kept).

For $15 a month, what services does the HOA offer? Landscaping, refuse service, road maintenance, a maintained park or green belt?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do they have regular, stated meetings where things like easement and installation of utilities can be discussed, and things voted on/approved (if needed; as stated utilities may be allowed by easement outside the HOA). They should, and this is where things need to be discussed so it's got an audience and also a record (since the meetings and voting should have minutes kept).

For $15 a month, what services does the HOA offer? Landscaping, refuse service, road maintenance, a maintained park or green belt?
Yes we have yearly meetings in July. But no minutes are kept. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Basically the only one that talks is the HOA president. He just lies to all the neighbors and they believe every word. The only thing that gets done is the road gets grated by the president once in a blue moon. Nothing else is done. Even though we voted to install a sign and landscaping at the front. I expect tomorrow to hear that there weren’t enough votes to allow Vyve in. Because I guarantee it will be rigged. The guy didn’t wait on the Vyve supervisor to send him info he need to show the neighbors what Vyve has to offer. The supervisor was also going to include a letter that stated Vyve wasn’t going to trench to install but use a bore machine. The president didn’t want to show people this so he went ahead and printed up some ballots and on the ballot he made sure and put that EVERY yard would have a pedestal installed which is a flat out lie. He did it to try and get people to vote no because they don’t want a pedestal in their yard. My friends wife was home when he delivered their ballot and told her that only one person wanted Vyve and that’s why he stopped them from installing. The guy is a piece of crap liar.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I would talk to the county and mention to the HOA that you are going to talk to a lawyer about suing. You can also print up your own flyer telling the truth and pot it on people's doors.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep paying your dues, read the covenants, get a lawyer who knows how to deal with HOAs.

Avoid altercations. Verbal or otherwise.
This is the best advice so far, particularly the bold part. As Dale Carnegie put it, confronting him might make you feel better, but it won't get you the solution you want, it'll just harden his position, and it could make your position more difficult. At this point, you have nothing to gain from talking to him, so you need to let an attorney do the talking for you.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of incorrect information in the above posts but I'm not in the mood to get into an argument. We have this same guy in our neighborhood, we voted him and his friends out 6-7 years ago. I'm the VP on our HOA just to hold a spot so the knuckleheads cant get back on the board. The problem with covenants are that they can be interpreted in different ways which causes confusion. You should also have a set of By-laws that go hand in hand with the covenants, they should explain how the HOA board should operate. If the utility company is in the easement the owner has no authority to shut them down. It would probably be worth the cash to go speak with a lawyer and have him/her send a certified letter to the HOA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom