Home Owner's Insurance & Ammo Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just come to expect to get screwed by insurance companies. I say that as a person who used to work in the insurance field. My wife hurt her back and went to the doctor. They gave her some pain medication and sent her on her way. She asked to go the chiropractor, and they filled out the paperwork. She immediately got a form in the mail wanting to deny coverage because she was in a wreck and it must the other parties job to pay for her claim. She was never in a wreck. Typical deny, deny, deny mentalilty of the insurance field.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just come to expect to get screwed by insurance companies. I say that as a person who used to work in the insurance field. My wife hurt her back and went to the doctor. They gave her some pain medication and sent her on her way. She asked to go the chiropractor, and they filled out the paperwork. She immediately got a form in the mail wanting to deny coverage because she was in a wreck and it must the other parties job to pay for her claim. She was never in a wreck. Typical deny, deny, deny mentalilty of the insurance field.

That kind of thing depends a lot on the type of insurance and the company you are dealing with. I know very little about health insurance or work comp, but I do know that many health/work comp companies deny claims the first time as a matter of policy (which is shady). I am not an apologist for the industry, I am just a lowly claims representative offering the simplest advice I can. Knowing what was in the contract you signed gives you the best chance of dealing successfully with any type of insurer.

The company I work for pays claims we don't owe all the time to keep customers happy, but you never hear about that. I have paid claims that I could have technically denied because I felt like it was the right thing to do (as long as my boss agreed). Happy people don't tell their neighbors what a great job their insurer did, but they sure complain if something is denied. I can't get mad about it, it is just how word of mouth works.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a legal document. Who else would write it? I know it is not exactly a fun read but it is 100% your responsibility to know what you are signing. Period. You can't blame anyone else for not paying attention. Do you read the contracts you sign when you enter into a financing agreement for a mortgage? car note?
Its the same thing, and you should read all of them. Neglect to do so at your own peril.

This is one reason why so many people hate lawyers... they intentionally word things to be specific to the legal system but vague to the average Joe.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That kind of thing depends a lot on the type of insurance and the company you are dealing with. I know very little about health insurance or work comp, but I do know that many health/work comp companies deny claims the first time as a matter of policy (which is shady). I am not an apologist for the industry, I am just a lowly claims representative offering the simplest advice I can. Knowing what was in the contract you signed gives you the best chance of dealing successfully with any type of insurer.

The company I work for pays claims we don't owe all the time to keep customers happy, but you never hear about that. I have paid claims that I could have technically denied because I felt like it was the right thing to do (as long as my boss agreed). Happy people don't tell their neighbors what a great job their insurer did, but they sure complain if something is denied. I can't get mad about it, it is just how word of mouth works.

That is a well stated and well thought out response. I didn't mean it as a personal attack, but I don't think you took it that way either. I have just had a lot of battles with insurance companies over the years. I just wanted to put out my thoughts(whether right or wrong) on the matter.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is one reason why so many people hate lawyers... they intentionally word things to be specific to the legal system but vague to the average Joe.

True. I do wish that there was a way to make some of the stuff in the contracts easier to understand for the average Joe. A good agent can usually help with that, but finding a good agent isn't easy. Most of them don't know jack about claims, but they do know how to sell you stuff.

You know what they say, though: you can shi* in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first.

Oh, and everyone hates lawyers until they need one.....

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a well stated and well thought out response. I didn't mean it as a personal attack, but I don't think you took it that way either. I have just had a lot of battles with insurance companies over the years. I just wanted to put out my thoughts(whether right or wrong) on the matter.

Totally didn't take it as a personal attack. I am hard to offend, and you aren't going to say any negative things about insurers that I haven't said at one time or the other myself.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't be a claims adjuster for anything. They get crap handed to them from all directions.

Especially the agents and underwriting :)

Sometimes the people who write the stuff have no idea how the contract actually ends up having to pay a claim. Not all, but we get some wild situations every now and then because of it.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Especially the agents and underwriting :)

Sometimes the people who write the stuff have no idea how the contract actually ends up having to pay a claim. Not all, but we get some wild situations every now and then because of it.

Its a great job, isn't it? Ugh. I can't believe I have been posting about it while doing it. It is making my head hurt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom