Home Owner's Insurance & Ammo Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would like to see a Myth Busters test on this. If it was hot enough to cook off the round in the chamber then wouldn't the rounds in the magazine cook off as well? Before being cycled through the action?

Michael

These are the only MythBuster test I could find in a short search...It was tested with a revolver in a oven... haven't taken the time to search for the semi-auto test.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...&tit=MythBusters:+Exploding+Fire+Extinguisher

Click on the bullets in a campfire... it was the casings that caused the impacts.. not the bullets.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Click on the bullets in a campfire... it was the casings that caused the impacts.. not the bullets.
Makes sense... the casings are lighter, so in the absence of something holding the casing in place (i.e., a chambered round), the casing would be the more likely object to fire off at velocity.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a quick update for any who are worried about it...

I spoke with my insurance agent regarding ammo storage. He was surprised to hear it was a concern, he said he has probably 4,000 rounds himself! He forwarded the concern up the chain to "corporate". They came back and said to him, "No, no problem."

An urban legend? I dunno.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like another confirmation that insurance companies are in it only to make money and not to protect the insured. Insurance is one of the few businesses that if the profits aren't as much as the previous year they raise rates or cut services.

Wait, most businesses don't adjust pricing and offerings to remain successful and profitable? You're talking out of your butt, buddy.

And the ammo is not a problem. I've paid claims involving ammo. No policy I know of has any exclusions related to ammunition quantity.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ammo is not a problem. I've paid claims involving ammo. No policy I know of has any exclusions related to ammunition quantity.

I am in the industry and I have never seen this exclusion on any policy I have worked on, in any state where we write coverage. That is not to say it isn't possible, but as long as you READ YOUR POLICY, there should be no surprises. Most of the bitching, moaning and bellyaching about insurance claims not going peoples way has to do with the fact that virtually nobody reads the policy, so they are surprised when things are not covered/excluded - and somehow that becomes the adjuster/agents fault?

You may notice this is a sore spot for me. It gets tiresome being blamed for someone else's lack of due diligence in signing a contract for services and never bothering to read the damn thing.

T

TheMcs

I am in the industry and I have never seen this exclusion on any policy I have worked on, in any state where we write coverage. That is not to say it isn't possible, but as long as you READ YOUR POLICY, there should be no surprises. Most of the bitching, moaning and bellyaching about insurance claims not going peoples way has to do with the fact that virtually nobody reads the policy, so they are surprised when things are not covered/excluded - and somehow that becomes the adjuster/agents fault?

You may notice this is a sore spot for me. It gets tiresome being blamed for someone else's lack of due diligence in signing a contract for services and never bothering to read the damn thing.

I think I hear this at least once a week from my wife.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I hear this at least once a week from my wife.

It is the single most irritating thing about my job. I didn't even know there were people who signed contracts without reading them until I got a job in the industry. Who knew? I always read insurance contracts through, even as a youngster. It was a good habit instilled by my father. Same goes for care purchase agreements. Any legally binding document. I am sure it always annoys the finance guys at the car dealerships, but I don't give a damn. That's my money we are talking about, and I take it pretty seriously.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Maybe if the policies weren't 85 pages of crap written by lawyers then more people would read it

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe if the policies weren't 85 pages of crap written by lawyers then more people would read it

It is a legal document. Who else would write it? I know it is not exactly a fun read but it is 100% your responsibility to know what you are signing. Period. You can't blame anyone else for not paying attention. Do you read the contracts you sign when you enter into a financing agreement for a mortgage? car note?
Its the same thing, and you should read all of them. Neglect to do so at your own peril.

Latest posts

Top Bottom