homemade case lube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
looking to make some case lube from scratch. i have some dillon and some rcbs stuff around and it works fine. those two bottles cost me 20 bucks and i got 12 ounces,big whoop. i have done some research and looks like i can make a 52 oz. for around 20 bucks using the 1 ounce of lanolin and 12 ounces of isopropryl alcohol. before i start i wanted to check and see if thats what you guys use or have you changed up the recipe some?

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need that much lanolin in 12oz alcohol, more like 1 table spoon. Warm the alcohol and melt the lanolin then mix
together and pour it in a trigger spray bottle.
Be sure and use anhydrous lanolin as it has no water.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lanolin and alcohol work VERY well. Make sure you get the liquid lanolin and try to get over 90% Alc. I've never had a problem mixing the components at room temperature.

Also, The lanolin can be purchased at Akins but it is way cheaper online. I think I got my 4 oz bottles for 3 or 4 bucks each shipped.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some lanolin that I am going to try some time soon. I got some imperial and that works really good. If I could make that I would.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told by an older fella once that he used white rice in the tumbler. He said the rice oil from the rice would coat the brass and worked great as a case lube.

Anyone else heard of this, I have not tried it yet.

Insureyourself

Marksman
Reaction score
Don't know anything about rice oil, but I can tell you I've had nothing but headaches with the hornady one shot. I use a small base sizer on 223 for my ARs and have gotten so many stuck it is not even funny. I've loaded over 10k pieces already and had to the tried and true " rolling hem on the lube pad with regular lube. Am I just an idiot and not using he spray lube correctly? Before you answer-- Be nice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom