Homeowners insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippyG22M3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking what do you pay?

I have state farm with 2 cars, and 3 life insurance policies, my
homeowners is $1450 a year on a 100,000 house. Have had the same
policy for 12 years not one claim for anything.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not one claim for anything.

Homeowners insurance is based on area and type of dwelling, so you're enjoying the rate increase due to the various heavy damage events in OK in the last few years.
At lease we can still get good insurance, even if the rates have gone up. Want to try it in S Florida?
After the horrendous ice storm in W Ky in 2009, the insurance there went up more percentage wise than in SW OK; I still own a house there.

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Homeowners insurance is based upon many factors (age of the home, age of the roof/utilities, alarm system, location, credit score, claims, construction materials, ect). You could take twenty $100,000 homes and the rates would vary greatly, even with the same company.

I have homes insured over $500,000 that are paying less than mobile homes I have insured for less than $50,000.

Oklahoma homeowners insurance has increased with just about every company over the last 3 years. We have had a bad stretch of storms accompanied by large increases on the cost of building materials and labor. Example: Price to replace a roof today vs 3-5 years ago.

I'm praying for calm weather for the next few months. We could do without the tornados this year.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a new (to me) home last March. ALL of my insurance was with State Farm at the time including my rentals. State Farm quoted me $1650/year for the new home. I didn't think anything of it. It sounded fine. My realtor suggested I might shop around since she thought I could possibly do better and gave me an agents number. After speaking with him and my State Farm agent, I went with the other guy. So my primary residence is with Liberty Mutual now for $925/year. Everything else is still with State Farm. I checked on the dwelling poilicies too and they were comparable so I left them with State Farm. My SF agent actually told me to go with Liberty Mutual. He said they were great for homes, handle their claims great and kill State Farm in price. He doesn't know how they do it, suspects they are losing their a$$e$ (though I think everyone does on homes in OK) and will probably increase their rates. But until then, I'll enjoy the savings.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also you failed to mention what type of situation you are in, married, fiancé, long term girlfriend, do you OWN the cars outright, do you OWN THE HOME outright, those things are factored in.

Just because I know I am one of the only people my age in my situation I will bite.

I'm 25 and with state farm, I own my vehicle and carry full coverage not a single ticket or accident in 9 years. I own my home which is 700 sq feet in sw area of okc and 2 rentals. I have each home insured for the cost of materials to replace them at the rate of 100$ a sq foot, I can do them for 30$ so I win there, contents of my home up to $50,000, renters are required to carry their own insurance for contents. Also have a life insurance policy for myself and an umbrella policy of up to $500,000. That being said I'm paying less than $1500 a year for me and my wife on the vehicles and home, just myself on the life insurance and umbrella, and rentals.

Your insurance rates will arguably not be this low as I have an incredibly different situation for my age.

Again this is zero debt, I hold titles to it not a bank, which necessitates the larger premium, as you cannot replace the home in the same manner as me in the event it's a total loss.

HippyG22M3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Owe 60 on the house its 25 years old, cars are paid for, 41 years old, married. My folks house is worth the same was paid off 15 years ago their insurance is same cost, same agent and all. I am just getting tired of it going up about a 100 a year. Live in Mustang, I did not get any of the big hail last year.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brand new house: Insurance is $716 a year (house value is $120k, i put 15k down.)
Car Insurance with the same company, 2 cars with no at fault claims. I had two uninsured motorist claims with the most recent being 4 years ago. (full coverage)
Life insurance on wife and I (150k each for 10 year term)
Valuable policy for guns, jewelry - 20k
All together of all policies including house insurance = ~2250 a year.

I am 23, wife is 22.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 cars with no at fault claims. I had two uninsured motorist claims with the most recent being 4 years ago. (full coverage)

I am 23, wife is 22.
Were those uninsured motorist claims for medical bills? Uninsured/underinsured coverage pays bodily injury claims. If it was property damage you filed a claim on, that went against your collision coverage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom