Insurance pisses me off!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vehicle insurance in particular today... How much should I pay?
I'm 49 years old.
I've never had a DUI, or an "at fault" accident.
I've never caused an accident.
I drive 50< miles per week.
I haven't filed an insurance claim in over 25 years.
I drive a 20+ year old minivan.
I've had 1 ticket in the last 10 years, and the charge was dropped.

For perspective, I pay an average of 30-40% more for monthly car insurance, than I spend on fuel! How crazy is that?

OldGregg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree insurance companies are greedy, but just like jobs nowadays, you've gotta shop around every few years to make sure you're getting a good rate.
I don't pay more than $65 /month for full coverage on my 2016 Honda with Encompass.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't get it, either. We have excellent credit, very little debt, excellent claim history, no accidents, 1 ticket 2 years ago, 60+ years old, with an 8 year old truck and a 6 year old car. We pay about $2200 year for full coverage. And I shop around (as much as I hate it) at least twice a year.

It's gov't mandated robbery. I'm appalled by the cost of insurance in Oklahoma. One of the very few things about this state I don't care for.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't get it, either. We have excellent credit, very little debt, excellent claim history, no accidents, 1 ticket 2 years ago, 60+ years old, with an 8 year old truck and a 6 year old car. We pay about $2200 year for full coverage. And I shop around (as much as I hate it) at least twice a year.

It's gov't mandated robbery. I'm appalled by the cost of insurance in Oklahoma. One of the very few things about this state I don't care for.

You probably already know this, but car tags are a lot cheaper. When we lived in Colorado for 20 months, we had bought an Expedition and paid the taxes and such. The next year, with only the tag to renew, it cost us $560 for the one vehicle. That puts Colorado's tag prices about 5 times higher than Oklahoma's.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yep. But it ain’t your car the insurance company is worried about, it’s the $85k pickup truck or suburban you tangle with that hurts their pocket book.
Doesn’t take much these days to rack up 10’s of thousands in damages. Heck, even some fender benders. Then rental cars, attorneys and on and on.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is much cheaper here to register a car. I agree. And most taxes are cheaper than Colorado. But in terms of affordability everything here is cheaper than Colorado.

My homeowners is as much here as my home was in the mountains of Colorado right in the middle of wildfire territory, that was worth about 3 times what my home here is worth. Insurance costs are out of control in this state. Probably why so many people can't afford it.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I insured 3 cars in Idaho, newer and with higher coverage limits than what I have here for about 40% of the cost.

Idaho probably ain’t gots as many uninsured or unDOCUMENTED workers as we do here. I mean, sure, for certain some slip in over from Canada for some lumberjack work…

Latest posts

Top Bottom