Hope For Humanity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to run to Lowes in Siloam Springs (AR) yesterday to get a few parts for a busted waterline. While I was driving down 412 hwy and crossing Flint Creek, I saw a woman walking. We still have 6" or so of snow on the ground and the temps were freezing, so of course I stopped. After we both decided that we weren't going to murder each other, she told me her story. She's a middle aged woman who is down on her luck and living with her parents. She has no vehicle and has to walk everywhere. She does have a job though, but it's in Gentry, Arkansas, and that's the reason for her trek. She has to work Monday morning, so was walking all of the way to Gentry and staying in a motel there until Monday to ensure she can go to work. Gentry is about 8-10 miles north of Siloam, and Siloam is around 12-15 miles from where I picked her up. She had already walked around 3 miles. Her dedication blew me away, and yes I decided to take her all of the way to Gentry rather than my initial destination of Siloam. Anyways, it kinda made my day. I mean, a person who is prepared to walk 25+ miles in the freezing snow just to keep their job restores my faith in humanity. I don't remember her name and she probably doesn't remember mine, but I will never forget her dedication.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wowzers. Good for her... hope it's a good job that'll cover that hotel room cost, too. Most of the time when I was down on my luck, I didn't even make enough per day after taxes at my job(s) to pay for a hotel alone.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wowzers. Good for her... hope it's a good job that'll cover that hotel room cost, too. Most of the time when I was down on my luck, I didn't even make enough per day after taxes at my job(s) to pay for a hotel alone.

She said that she's a "hanger" at Tyson chicken plant. I don't know what they pay, but working at the chicken plants is a pretty common occupation for northwest Arkansas and northeast Oklahoma. She said that she had $20 left after paying motel, and offered that to me for gas. It took every bit of will power that I had not to just hand over my wallet to her. People like her deserve our help and respect.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, that ain't a high payin' job. I mean, it ain't minimum wage, and probably beats cleaning hotel rooms... but I have known some of the folks who work in the chicken houses and such (not quite the same as the food plant, I'm sure), but man, that is a rough job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom